Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Writing down a recipe >

Writing down a recipe

Writing down a recipe

Old 10-16-2018, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

People that can't follow a recipe and adjust with common sense need more maintenance then I am willing to give.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Speaking of detailed instructions - our daughter was a new Mom and asked me to watch the baby for a couple of hours at my house. She brought him along with 2 pages (front & back) of written instructions. I still have them someplace.
I burst out laughing at this!!!
Old 10-21-2018, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady View Post
My mom is 84 and used to cook all the time. She would sometimes have me type up her recipes to give to her friends. She would list the ingredients by brand name and the size of her pans or bowls. I would get a kick out of typing them. One time she wanted me to type up her instructions for making her chicken and dressing. It took me three pages because she wanted every step written down just like she made it. haha
She has severe memory loss now and doesn't even know what a spatula is. I stay with her sometimes while my 86 year old daddy has to go run an errand. I only live 5 minutes down the road from them. We don't leave her alone now. She'll show me a box of Hamburger Helper and wants me to help her make it. She can't even understand the instructions on anything now. It's sad, but we've still got her.
First...hugs to you and your Mom and Dad. My Mom did the same thing in her later years. (Funny...she never forgot how to make a martini though...LOL.)

There are a few really great, recipe-building, software programs/apps out there. I use one on my other computer, but I can't remember the name offhand...sorry. Putting it on the computer makes it easy to store and share with others. They also prompt you to write complete and comprehensive instructions and ingredient lists. I'll try to find out the name of the one I use and post it here.

~ C
Old 10-21-2018, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Speaking of detailed instructions - our daughter was a new Mom and asked me to watch the baby for a couple of hours at my house. She brought him along with 2 pages (front & back) of written instructions. I still have them someplace.
Oh...that is too cute! That should be saved and handed down.

~ C
Old 10-21-2018, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Needles View Post
My grandmother did, she put it on the wagon and took them to the porches and porch stoops. Old homes didn't have outside faucets, they were lucky to have inside faucets with running water. My grandma had a hand pump at an old sink in her kitchen, even after they put in running water. Grandpa used that to clean up after milking and chores. They had no indoor bathroom until 1956. So see, it's not surprising to me to hear that lingo was written in a cookbook under household hints. Farm life was 'different' than city life.

My great, great aunt was born on a farm in N. Dakota Territory She had had enough of farm chores and brutal winters and moved west around 1900. She worked as a cook for wealthy families in Pasadena. I was fortunate enough to inherit her Boston School of Cooking cookbook. There is an advertising section in the back of the book where she wrote notes and put stars on the ads of products that she coveted s/a a gas burning range, washing machine and an electric butter churner. So sweet! She lived in the city the rest of her life, enjoyed every minute and never looked back.

~ C

Last edited by tropit; 10-21-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:01 PM

Another thing I sometime see in old cookbooks is reference to a "slow oven" or "fast oven" instead of temperature for the woodturning stove. And sometimes there are ingredients by brand name that you have never heard of. For example: 1 cup of Spry (What is Spry?) I found out later it was a brand name for shortening. The one my husband loves is my answer to his question "how long should I cook this?" I say "until its done." My father was a cook in the army in WWII. I have his old army cookbook. Each recipe is for "100 men."
Old 10-25-2018, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Botanicat View Post
Another thing I sometime see in old cookbooks is reference to a "slow oven" or "fast oven" instead of temperature for the woodturning stove. And sometimes there are ingredients by brand name that you have never heard of. For example: 1 cup of Spry (What is Spry?) I found out later it was a brand name for shortening. The one my husband loves is my answer to his question "how long should I cook this?" I say "until its done." My father was a cook in the army in WWII. I have his old army cookbook. Each recipe is for "100 men."
I used to have an early cookbook put out by Crisco in the 1920's or 30's. From the writing you would think it was the 8th wonder of the world. But really, it was very different - it didn't go bad. It was easier to digest than lard, which was used before.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
My great, great aunt was born on a farm in N. Dakota Territory She had had enough of farm chores and brutal winters and moved west around 1900. She worked as a cook for wealthy families in Pasadena. I was fortunate enough to inherit her Boston School of Cooking cookbook. There is an advertising section in the back of the book where she wrote notes and put stars on the ads of products that she coveted s/a a gas burning range, washing machine and an electric butter churner. So sweet! She lived in the city the rest of her life, enjoyed every minute and never looked back.

~ C
There is so much we don’t really grasp on how hard it was without access to grocery stores, running water (depending on how rural) and a lot of conveniences many take for granted. It is sweet that she took time to think about what she wanted and had ideas for her future. I hope that she made a lovely life for herself.