Newbies challenge

Old 07-07-2010, 04:04 AM

I will share what I know if I can help some one with a problem. As a lot of you know I do lots of hand work both quilting and applique,machine piecing , I do traditional patchwork and landscaping and art quilts. If I dont know the answer to your question I will find out and get back to you. Jo
Old 07-07-2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by KAREN52
Karen52 would love to have a quilter adopt her,I have been quilting for awhile but I get in alot of binds and would love to have someone that could answer questions I come up with that I may think is a stupid question but need an answer.
Ask! You can search the board for an answer, or post a new topic. It can usually be found.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:43 AM

I would love to adopt a new quilter, but I hesitate to approach a USA newbie. You must be surrounded by so many wonderful quilters. I learned most of my early skills by being on a USA quilting site and swapping and doing projects with them as well as firing question at the experts there. Taken classes here of course as well and I watch http:/www.thequiltshow.com on my computer.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:39 AM

Sorry, double post - the following post has the address for the list of adoptions.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:41 AM

murieluk, there are a lot of people in the US that have no quilters near to ask questions. So don't feel shy about adopting someone, regardless of where they are located. You could look at the list and find someone asking for the talents/skills you have, and volunteer. Or you could list specific skills you would be willing to teach, and let a newbie ask you.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/group_a...jsp?gracnum=30
Old 07-08-2010, 09:12 AM

I need help, I will try to make my son a throw using fleece. This was the only material we could find a wide range of animal print. What is the best way to mark for the squares ( lead pencil not looking good) :? I keep looking at the material and wondering if we are going be able to get this done before school starts.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:41 PM

Hello All! I am a very beginner to quilting, I have not even started anything yet. :( I have a lot of fabric now and finally bought a 16 x 24 quilting ruller. I have a newer Singer sewing machine, Brother sewing machine, Bernina serger. I wan't to learn everything about quitling so BAD :) I will start at the bottom though and hopefully gradually learn it all. Please ADOPT me! Sorry for the spelling mistakes :)!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:59 PM

I am so grateful my Quilting Mommy wanted to adopt me.. I have questions, and ideas and finally have someone to bounce them off of , without fear of being bounced on because I asked.. So grateful for this board, and for those who have been where I am now..
Old 07-08-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Originally Posted by Up North
Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Who is considered a "Newbie" vs a 'veteran"?

I've been quilting only since last August (09), but sort of skipped the beginner quilt stage (from what others tell me), but feel I have so much to learn, while at the same time I've been 'teaching' others that are truly brand new to quilting and have never done it, or are stuck.

What I have learned or been taught is via a co-worker and here on the board.

Or am I one that is 'stuck in the middle"?
I will join you is this spot, I started just 2 years ago, borders and mitering get me every time. I an afraid to FM Have no clue on paper piecing, don't wander off the beginner blocks.
I also have no clue on pp, have wandered off the beginner blocks to design my own (simple blocks). Have not FM'd yet on anything more than wall hangings doing SITD and border stitches. My machine doesn't have a drop feet foot so can't FM. Borders I do fine with and the mitering I've got down, but slow, on the wall hangings. I'm only on my third regular bed quilt and the second one (Pin wheels) is only the top done so far.
What is FM and SITD? Told you I was new.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:32 PM

Someone please tell me what FMQ is. Talk about a newbie! I'm up for adoption. I've got lots of questions. I just joined today and I'm loving it.