Newbies challenge

Old 07-15-2010, 03:10 AM

IOWA
Old 07-15-2010, 06:02 AM

Good morning, if you google with heart and hands...St. Patrick's day quilts it will connect you with about 25 free Irish themed patterns. I personally like the patchwork clover. hope this helps. Sophie (so, why did I ask what state when it's in your profile? must have been tired)
Old 07-15-2010, 06:18 AM

thanks for the info. this will help a lot
Old 07-15-2010, 09:40 AM

OK, newbies, just take the chance. The worst that can happen is you need to tear it out. But what you will learn from it all , is that it's ok to make mistakes. I was told a while back that no quilt is perfect; there are ALWAYS IMPERFECTIONS IN EVERY QUILT, veteran or not. Gotta say that that's true. I've been quilting for two years and I am still learning. I've been shown several ways of doing blocks that I could write a book. I took a quilting class last October and the teacher showed us how to hand quilt and hand cut a lot of our pieces. Ah, there are rotary techniques a lot simpler, but she showed us the "old fashioned way!" Not my cup of tea since carpal tunnel rules the wrists. Show me a short cut and I wont forget it.

I think it's great to learn under someone. It takes away some of the fears of being new to the hobby. YouTube also has a lot of techniques that can help out when you are stuck and need an quick answer to it NOW.

I subscribe to a great quilting magazine - Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting and their cutting format is very simple and easy to understand. I am spoiled from their layout and when I look at other quilting magazines, I get somewhat confused expecting to find the same layout in those too. A quilting class helps if you have absolutely no clue to what you are doing or have never sewn before, but have no fear you will accomplish this endeavor. Most of all have fun making your quilt. My quilting time is what I call my "therapy time" and since I am so consumed in what I'm doing, it totally relaxes me. I sometimes get frustrated and that's when I put it down and walk away. I also don't sew when I am really tired because I can't concentrate.

There are a few items you will, no doubt, need to even start quilting; a large cutting mat, long rulers and squared 12 1/2" rulers, a sharp rotary cutter and extra blades, pins, fabric and paper scissor, pair of long tweezers, 1/4" foot, and of course a sewing machine unless you plan to hand quilt. Basically you need the right tools to get the job done. So start out with these and add as you go along.

And don't forget the more you quilt, the better you will get. You will eventually want to show the world what you are doing too. So post pics because we all want to see your work. Encouragement goes a long way too.

Take care and Happy Quilting.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:50 AM

I'm so new I can not find anything on this computer or site. Able to sew and quilt but this part is in another language then I am fermiliur with :?:
mrose
Old 07-15-2010, 09:51 AM

Oh, and I forgot to mention...........start with a simple and small project. Don't jump into a king size pinwheel quilt like I made on my second quilt.!!! Lap size quilts are about the right size to complete as a beginner.

The sooner you see a finished product, the more confident you will feel and want to move on to another project. It takes a while to feel comfortable towards the finishing stages since binding can be tricky. Miter corners are beautiful when done correctly, but even I can mess them up. This takes hands on experience to really get good at it and luckily there are at least 4 corners to try on every quilt.

If you can't free motion your quilt, then look into having it long armed locally. You won't be disappointed - trust me! I am fortunate that there is someone who lives a short distance from me who long arms my quilts and I put the binding on and finish it myself. She does great work and has helped me when I was stuck a time or two.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:46 PM

what do all the abbreviations stand for?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:13 PM

I would like you 2 b my mommy. I love the log cabin block also. I have tried quilting off and on for years. I get discouraged and give up. Right now, I am doing table rynners trying to learn the knack. Would love to make a bed quilt but feel if I start one it will never get finished. I am leary about it taking so long and I would give up. I can't even imagine sandwiching the three layers together. It is overwhelming.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:47 AM

I would love to have some help. I'm teaching myself a local person would be perfect.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:29 PM

I'd love to have someone help me out. I am just a beginner. I have done a couple quilt tops, and completed one lap quilt and one table runner. I get very frustrated though because my points/ corners never seem to line up right. I have a Singer Simple machine and an old Singer Fashion Mate 252 ( I can't figure out the tension on this one though- no owners manual came with it). I'd also like to venture into paper piecing and applique in the future, but I think I need to get my points and corners to match up before I go any further.