Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Futura VS. Brother >

Singer Futura VS. Brother

Singer Futura VS. Brother

Old 09-16-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Hi, This is Ruth. I have the Futura 150 and love it but for $100 more I would go for the 250. My Futura has served me well for about 6 years. Hope this helps. Happy Quilting!
If you want a machine that will hold up, get a Janome, or Husquvarna Viking. They are a little more money, but less money in the long run.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:14 AM

I think it is a matter of preference. I have both of those for sewing machines but i do not care for my Singer
Old 09-16-2010, 07:16 AM

I also have the babylock ellegante 2 and absolutely love it!!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Denise85
I also have the babylock ellegante 2 and absolutely love it!!
Nice machine but a little more than what I think she wanted to spend :)
Old 09-16-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by stefanib123
I've been talking to hubby about buying a new machine/embroidery machine for Xmas on HSN , where they have the "easy pay" plans. This is the only way I could afford a new machine of any type this year.

So, I've been cruising on there and here's what they have:

A Singer Futura 150- $699
Singer Futura 250- $799
Brother SE400- $499

They also have a Brother for $799 that is an embroidery machine only, but I want one that does both.

I'm leaning towards the Brother right now, because of the price, obviously. BUT, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get the Futura, as it seems like it has MUCH more to it. And it has great reviews.

The monthly payments are about the same, I'd have one extra payment with the Futura.

Is the Futura that much better? I'd love to hear from anyone who has any of these.
I can tell you from experience that the Singer Futura, although it is a great embroidery machine, does not have a very large throat which you will need for quilting. I have the Singer Futura CE250 and love it, but I also have a Singer Confidence on which to quilt. The Singer Confidence doesn't have as large a throat as the Janome, but I make do on it! Don't know anything at all about the Brother.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:31 AM

I would not buy any of them till you go and sit down and have a demo of them. You need to make a decision on it from what they can each do. Have fun shopping!
Old 09-16-2010, 01:54 PM

I bought a Singer furtura as my first machine. A sewing/embroidery combo. I had it for 7 months, and in those 7 months it was in the repair shop 4 times!! I even had to send it to the factory service center twice.That is a total of 6 times in the sop for the same problem which they never fixed properly!!! I bought a Baby Lock ElleganteII ( I spent a small fortune for it) It was well worth it. Brother and Baby Lock are made by the same company. Go with the Brother. You will never regret it. I will never buy another Singer product.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:27 PM

I have had 5 Brother machines! Obviously, I love them! 3 were embroidery/sewing machines, one is a quilting/sewing machine & one was a very inexpensive machine I bought to use in the RV! I have since given that one to my daughter who sews only a little. I have looked at Brother machines for myself & for a friend & did not see a "Only embroidery machine"? Are you sure is doesn't do regular sewing, too? I have seen the combo's in your price range that looked quite nice. Do look at brothermallusa.com & check them all out!!
Old 09-16-2010, 03:32 PM

I have the Brother QC-1000. It was advertised as a quilting/sewing machine. The throat is close to 9" which is very nice & I have quilted queen sized quilts on it. But my Quattro has a 10" throat & it's not even advertised as a quilting machine! It is embroidery/sewing/quilting. They are both great for their features.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:45 PM

Looks like posts are 50-50. The only thing I can say is that I work in a retail shop that sells Singer and quite a few are returned. They are not as heavy duty as they used to be. I have a 5-year old Singer that lost its will to sew about 3 years ago. I then bought a Janome!