Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Futura VS. Brother >

Singer Futura VS. Brother

Singer Futura VS. Brother

Old 09-16-2010, 04:00 PM

I WOULD BUY THE BROTHER. I HAVE 2 OF THEM AND LOVE THEM
Old 09-16-2010, 04:33 PM

Hey Stef; I have a Singer Futura and love it. There is so much to it. I have had it now for a couple of years and still have not used everything on it. You won't regret it if you get this machine because it does a lot. Believe me, futura is the way to go.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

I don't know but I hope you get something that you really love.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Dee

I have the Futura CE150 and I know I will like it. Rave reviews on it, also purchased it from HSN and mine was 799.00. I also love Brother. Try it out as I'm going to do. You can always send it back. The pymt. plan is great. I have bought 4 machines from HSn.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:03 PM

I have the Futura 250. I bought it from HSN. It sews and embroiders beautifully. You do have to have a computer hooked up to it for the embroidery part to work. I bought the Brother embroidery machine only from HSN and I didn't like it so I sent it back. I would suggest that you use bobbin thread in the bobbin only for embroidery. It also can be tempermental on thread so I only use Metter polyester embroidery thread.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:29 PM

After I sent THREE COMPLAINTS to Singer and all I got back was how to thread a machine and that I needed a bobbin, which had nothing to do with the plug getting so hot that it nearly set my house on fire. I had to use a potholder to get it unplugged, it was that hot. On my FOURTH complaint I also sent a copy to Martha Stewart who brags about their machines all the time. I also sent MS a letter regarding my problem with Singer and forwarded a copy to Singer. I didn't ask MS to do anything about it. I just let Singer know that MS has clout as a major visible company while I was just an individual. I finally got a letter back telling me to send them the machine and they would replace it. NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS KIND OF CUSTOMER SERVICE. Warrenties are only as good as the company backing the product. I don't know anything about Brother. But I have always in the past sworn by Singer. I was extremely disappointed.

My suggestion. Get lots of info and how others have been treated when they have had a problem.

Originally Posted by stefanib123
I've been talking to hubby about buying a new machine/embroidery machine for Xmas on HSN , where they have the "easy pay" plans. This is the only way I could afford a new machine of any type this year.

So, I've been cruising on there and here's what they have:

A Singer Futura 150- $699
Singer Futura 250- $799
Brother SE400- $499

They also have a Brother for $799 that is an embroidery machine only, but I want one that does both.

I'm leaning towards the Brother right now, because of the price, obviously. BUT, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get the Futura, as it seems like it has MUCH more to it. And it has great reviews.

The monthly payments are about the same, I'd have one extra payment with the Futura.

Is the Futura that much better? I'd love to hear from anyone who has any of these.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:08 AM

I bought a $2,000.00 Brother and another brand high end machine for $7,000.00. I use the Brother far more often than the other machine as it is sturdier than the more expensive one. It sews easily through very thick fabric such as 4 thicknesses of denim, makes a nice quilt stitch and sews fine work as well. I am sorry I bought the other brand machine because despite the 'good' reputation it has as a brand, there have always been issues with the communication between computer and machine.
If you are quilting with it, compare the amount of throat area that you will have to bunch your quilt under. My Brother has 9" area which is much better than a lot of machines. Hope you are happy with your eventual choice.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:17 PM

Personally I would not have another Singer. The gears are made out of plastic. You might want to check that out if you can.
Kiki Myers
Old 09-17-2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by sewin'sam
I have had 5 Brother machines! Obviously, I love them! 3 were embroidery/sewing machines, one is a quilting/sewing machine & one was a very inexpensive machine I bought to use in the RV! I have since given that one to my daughter who sews only a little. I have looked at Brother machines for myself & for a friend & did not see a "Only embroidery machine"? Are you sure is doesn't do regular sewing, too? I have seen the combo's in your price range that looked quite nice. Do look at brothermallusa.com & check them all out!!
Well, it may do both. There's one says it does both,its $499 and thats the one I'm thinking of getting. The other one they have seems to say it only does embroidery, its $799. Here's the link, see if you can figure it out, it doesn't tell what kind it is that I can see, but I may be overlooking it:

http://crafts-sewing.hsn.com/brother...45342&ocm=sekw|items_recently_aired

Ok, and here's the other one, the one that says it does both:

http://crafts-sewing.hsn.com/brother...79542&ocm=sekw|items_recently_aired
Old 09-17-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by stefanib123
Originally Posted by sewin'sam
I have had 5 Brother machines! Obviously, I love them! 3 were embroidery/sewing machines, one is a quilting/sewing machine & one was a very inexpensive machine I bought to use in the RV! I have since given that one to my daughter who sews only a little. I have looked at Brother machines for myself & for a friend & did not see a "Only embroidery machine"? Are you sure is doesn't do regular sewing, too? I have seen the combo's in your price range that looked quite nice. Do look at brothermallusa.com & check them all out!!
Well, it may do both. There's one says it does both,its $499 and thats the one I'm thinking of getting. The other one they have seems to say it only does embroidery, its $799. Here's the link, see if you can figure it out, it doesn't tell what kind it is that I can see, but I may be overlooking it:

http://crafts-sewing.hsn.com/brother...45342&ocm=sekw|items_recently_aired

Ok, and here's the other one, the one that says it does both:

http://crafts-sewing.hsn.com/brother...79542&ocm=sekw|items_recently_aired
I went to the website at HSN. In the descriptions it does say the model for each one. The first one is the Brother PE 770 and the second one is the Brother HE 240.