Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts.... >

Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts....

Now they decide not to exchange Christmas gifts....

Old 12-04-2010, 01:49 PM

Your hand made gifts are really lovely. Only our familys can hurt us with their lack of consideration. However, maybe they made this decision because times are hard and and funds are scarce, and everyone is not as talented as you. My family has done the white elepant thing a couple of times through the years in order to spare the feelings of some of our struggling family members. Everyone really enjoyed the exchange, as it was turned in to a steal game. It was always very interesting to see what you ended up with. Sometimes it was a family treasure!! Give your gifts to them with the wonderful spirt you orginally intended. God Bless you and yours.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:51 PM

I Would give them anyway. Your artistic ability probably is hard to keep up with. Not everybody has time or ability to do the same. That's OK. Don't let it b other you, just give them this year, and then go along with the crowd next year.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:06 PM

I have to agree with everyone. Christmas is about giving of the heart and you made all the gifts from the heart so give them. And the have fun with the other. Christmas is about LOVE and I think you showed your love for your family. Have a wonderful Christmas,don't let others take your joy of the Holiday away from you.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I would go ahead and give the gifts as planned.
Find a white elephant gift and join in on the fun.
Maybe hand them the gifts as you are all leaving, and wish them a heartfelt Merry Christmas. Don't let their inconsideration bother you, or your Christmas spirit :wink: :D:D:D
I agree with Amma. Just give the gifts like you had intended. Find a piece of junk for the white elephant and have fun with that. I don't exchange gifts with DH family or my family for that matter, but I still wanted to make my one SIL a table mat for her 5th wheel. I'm not expecting anything in return. She's helped me so much, and I just wanted to make it for her. It's all in the spirit of Christmas. So don't let DH's family ruin that for you.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:45 PM

I love Amma's response and second the motion. You made the gifts with love in your heart and nothing should take that sentiment from you. It will be a real exercise in gratitude and generosity on your part to give them these gifts regardless of how hurt you might feel. You enjoyed making these gifts (and they are beautiful!) and you shouldn't have any negativity enter into the experience. Just do it like Amma said. If anyone says anything just tell them you had them all made up ahead of getting the instructions. Bless your caring and generous heart!
Old 12-04-2010, 03:27 PM

Those little tooth pillows are darlilng; it would be a shame not to give them to little ones just because their parents have made this last-minute change.

Perhaps somebody suggested no gifting b/c of financial situation? You might be surprised who is feeling stressed over money - even if they continue to spend to save face. Or maybe they just don't want more "stuff" because clearly they don't put the effort into gift giving that you do.

I think you've already been given the gift - the gift of caring. You cared enough to find out what colors, etc., and made something special for them. You have a generous heart, or wouldn't have done that to begin with. Don't let their attitude change yours. Give the gifts, enjoy the spirit of Christmas that you truly do have.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:48 PM

Give the gifts!! Your reward is in Heaven!!
Old 12-04-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
I would give them the handmade gifts anyway!

Have a Merry Christmas and take gifts for the elephant thing
Ditto this idea. Try to have fun anyway.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:54 PM

If you feel uncomfortable about giving them at Christmas no matter what SIL says, maybe save them for birthdays through the next year. I seldom make anything for family anymore as they don't appreciate getting some "home made"!!
Old 12-04-2010, 03:59 PM

everyone has birthdays? you have 2011 covered :)