Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My "love/hate" relationship with paper piecing; any tips? >

My "love/hate" relationship with paper piecing; any tips?

My "love/hate" relationship with paper piecing; any tips?

Old 12-17-2010, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by sarge1
I love how crisp paper pieced blocks look, and the intricacy of the designs one can achieve, but I always, inevitably, screw some step up. I looked at the tut here, and it has helped. However, my latest episode: I bought special foundation paper (which is sort of like interfacing in terms of the feel of it), and the first seam that I pressed made the foundation paper shrivel up! I didn't use steam, so what? Iron too hot?
Went on to finish it anyway, for practice, and the last two pieces I sewed on weren't large enough to cover the seam allowance.
It's totally wonky and unusable. I will try again, but would appreciate any little tips. Thanks
I expect the iron was too hot. You just need it hot enough to get the seam flat.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:51 AM

Here is a link to some good tips from Jodie Davis on Fons and Porter:

http://www.fonsandporter.com/userdoc...perPiecing.pdf
Old 12-17-2010, 08:05 AM

Thank you Kitsie. I really liked your tutorial and will use it. So appreciate your time and great directions. Yolanda
Old 12-17-2010, 08:24 AM

It takes some getting used to. I did a muslin foundation quilt about 10 years ago but never paper pieced until a couple of years ago. I messed up many a piece because of wrong placement and having to think backwards.

I had some of that fusible-like paper and I loved it. Maybe your iron was too hot, I didn't have a problem with it.

I just started on some yesterday and wasn't thinking when I printed the sheets from EQ7 and did it on normal paper. I have the thin paper for PP but forgot. Printer paper isn't bad, especially the cheap kind. I'm doing a dozen at a time, I need 72 of them.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:57 AM

I love my Add-A-Quarter ruler. Here's a link to the manufacturer's site with a tutorial. A video would be better, and maybe there is one out there, but this will give you an idea. There's an Add-An-Eighth ruler too. I would go with the 12-inch Add-A-Quarter. The other would be too short for many pieces, but if you can afford both, they are both helpful. I have done PP both with and without this ruler, and the ruler is very helpful.

http://www.addaquarter.com/how_to.php

One more tip I got in a class was to look for the "Post It" tape. The only place I've seen it is at staples. It's like a post it note, only it's in tape form and from a tape dispenser. It allows you to tape ripped foundation paper, and still cut through it. Regular tape doesn't work well with a rotary cutter.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:17 AM

Your "hate" will turn to "love" when you get
it figured out! I do a lot of PP (yes, avatar is PP) and here are my best tips:
Use the cheapest computer printer paper, or even newsprint, that you can find.
Use a large needle--90-- and tiny stitches.
Pull, press new piece *securely up against* stitching line before adding next piece.
Use an Add-A-Quarter ruler
**Before sewing the piece on, fold it into it's intended position, then hold the whole item to the light so you can see through the paper to check that the new piece is big enough!**
I have a tendency to daydream in the midst of PP, so I made a rule for myself--never, ever, cut against the folded paper edge. If you aren't cutting against the add a quarter ruler, you are doing it wrong.
Breathe
Have fun!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 12-17-2010, 10:55 AM

I am handicapped, PP with paper is nearly a no-no...I use used dryer sheets, print the pattern on it, & leave it there, works for me
Old 12-17-2010, 11:08 AM

Until you really get into PP, try using just a bit larger pice of fabric to be sure it edges will be covered.......

Time and practice makes perfect !!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 12:09 PM
cc

I wonder if you got water soluble foundation paper. I'm guessing the heat from the iron would make that shrivel--even without steam.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:16 PM

I love paper piecing. I do like the thinner paper (Carol Doak's did not work on my printer for some reason). The hardest part for me is cutting the fabric large enough for odd shapes. I am making the Civil War Quilt Love Letters and I finally got to the point I didn't have to rip out after about 13 blocks. As I said my main problem was cutting too small. I sew the seam, cut the excess, and press.