Newbies challenge

Old 01-01-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by notime
I am up for adoption. But I must tell you that I come with a class of small town 4-H girls and sometimes boys. Need help with new techniques, ideas and just general help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q0L57g8pBo
This link is easy step by step quilt making youtube.
There are several tutorials to follow.
For your 4-H group, if these are very young, keep the blocks basic simple squares, maybe a 4 patch block every other with a solid fabric block. If it's easy, not frustrating, and accomplishably rewarding, they'll continue quilting and finish their project. If you have specific questions, I hope we can help more. My youngest daughter made a baby quilt for her "future" nieces/nephews to her siblings and made them with simple solid and printed squares alternating, then a coordinating border. She finished 5.
Debbie
Old 01-01-2011, 04:48 PM

I can help you with a border but I am not good at art quilts. If you need some guidance please don't hesitate to PM me. I will gladly help you all I can. But for art....that's not my cup of tea
Old 01-01-2011, 05:31 PM

You remind me of myself in some ways. I went through a deep depression after my mom passed away in 2008. After spending a week in the hospital (I'm not going into details) I went to my local quilt shop that had only been open a month. I signed up for my first quilt class that had already started the week before. Mind you I hadn't sewn anything since high school (84 is when I graduated). I finished that quilt and signed up for the next class. To make a really long story short, ur shorter, I took many different classes and I'm still taking classes. I now make custom quilts, foundation paper piecing, stained glass, applique, totes, etc. The meaning of my story is you can do anything if you put your mind up to it. You found an excellent teacher as I have. Here are some of my quilts and wall hangings I now sell along with some of my custom orders that I have finished.

custom horse quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]151407[/ATTACH]

custon king Denver Broncos Quoit
[ATTACH=CONFIG]151408[/ATTACH]

foundation paper pieced quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]151409[/ATTACH]

stained glass angel
[ATTACH=CONFIG]151410[/ATTACH]

stained glass mermaid
[ATTACH=CONFIG]151411[/ATTACH]

fabric mosaic
[ATTACH=CONFIG]151415[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-151402.jpe
Views:	10
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	151407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-151403.jpe
Views:	12
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	151408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-151404.jpe
Views:	11
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	151409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-151405.jpe
Views:	13
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	151410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-151406.jpe
Views:	10
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	151411  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-151410.jpe
Views:	9
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	151415  
Old 01-01-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
What a great idea and thread!!

I am willing to adopt someone. I do FMQ (meandering only), not to good with SID and have EQ5 software. I do not have a longarm, but know how to use one.

If I can help someone, I am willing to do all I can. Just PM me.

*groan* I'm such a newbie that I don't know what ANY of these acronymns mean! :::::banging head on keyboard:::::
Old 01-01-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak

I am willing to adopt someone. I do FMQ (meandering only), not to good with SID and have EQ5 software. I do not have a longarm, but know how to use one.

*groan* I'm such a newbie that I don't know what ANY of these acronymns mean! :::::banging head on keyboard:::::
I've posted the quilt acranyms a couple times, I know they are on page 83 of this newbie's. Hope it helps.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tsanchez
You remind me of myself in some ways. I went through a deep depression after my mom passed away in 2008. After spending a week in the hospital (I'm not going into details) I went to my local quilt shop that had only been open a month. I signed up for my first quilt class that had already started the week before. Mind you I hadn't sewn anything since high school (84 is when I graduated). I finished that quilt and signed up for the next class. To make a really long story short, ur shorter, I took many different classes and I'm still taking classes. I now make custom quilts, foundation paper piecing, stained glass, applique, totes, etc. The meaning of my story is you can do anything if you put your mind up to it. You found an excellent teacher as I have. Here are some of my quilts and wall hangings I now sell along with some of my custom orders that I have finished.
Is the PP star a Deb Karasik pattern? I'm taking classes with her next Oct at our Medora ND retreat. I have a book & CD, before I knew she was our Natl Teacher, I want to try one of her's before class, so I'm not totally lost.
I agree, I keep taking classes, always wanting to try something new, hoping to learn every technique I can.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
Originally Posted by DonnaFreak

I've posted the quilt acranyms a couple times, I know they are on page 83 of this newbie's. Hope it helps.

Found it! Yes, this helps tons! I copied and pasted it into a Word document so I can have it to refer to. Thank you! :c)

Donna
Old 01-02-2011, 09:58 AM

I think it is. I will look for my book today. I've been working on getting my new sewing room together so I have moved things around quite a bit. I still have to quilt this one. If it is that one you are talking about, you will have to take the class on this one. It is tough but with a good teacher you will do fine. Organization is a MUST on this quilt. To get you prepared for the class before you even go, here are a few tips.
1. have 6 gallon size baggies numbered 1 - 6
2. have your fabrics in each set labeled which number and group they belong
3. on a sheet of paper, write the numbers and color descriptions from the book and a swatch from your fabrics that you have assigned to each number/group
DON'T CUT ANYTHING until you go to the first class.
I hope this helps a little bit. I hope this is the same book you have. It comes in a zippy bag with templates and it has this star on the front cover.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:16 AM

I am a NEWBIE Definately would Love for someone to adopt me and help me start. I would very much welcome the help
Old 01-02-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tsanchez
T Sanchez, we have alot in common my mom and dad passed away in 2008. I am wanting to make quilts for each one of my kids so that they will cherish those as I have some quilts I cherish. U do AWESOME WORK, would u like to adopt me??? LOL