Newbies challenge

Old 01-02-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tsanchez
I think it is. I will look for my book today. I've been working on getting my new sewing room together so I have moved things around quite a bit. I still have to quilt this one. If it is that one you are talking about, you will have to take the class on this one. It is tough but with a good teacher you will do fine. Organization is a MUST on this quilt. To get you prepared for the class before you even go, here are a few tips.
1. have 6 gallon size baggies numbered 1 - 6
2. have your fabrics in each set labeled which number and group they belong
3. on a sheet of paper, write the numbers and color descriptions from the book and a swatch from your fabrics that you have assigned to each number/group
DON'T CUT ANYTHING until you go to the first class.
I hope this helps a little bit. I hope this is the same book you have. It comes in a zippy bag with templates and it has this star on the front cover.
Thank you, I'm not getting around right now, but I will have to look for my book to see also. I have your tips. Just shows, everyone can gain from someone else's knowledge. The class is from Deb Karasik herself, she's our Natl. Teacher next year at this retreat. 2010 the classes I took for 2 very long days was with Sharon Schamber, and boy did I buy her patterns, DVDs, and took tons of photos and notes. The other Quilt Show this year had Elsie Campbell & Freida Anderson for Natl. Teachers I took their classes. Elsie is more my style, scrappy, practical. Freida is hand dyed & artistic, but fun for wall hanging gifts.

Oh, the getting around. I had foot surgery last Wed, and last night in emergency rm, as it's infected, looks enflamed & blistered. Took away the cast, put me in this stupid boot & a ton of wrapping to protect it, it's bleeding and this boot is a LG and I wear a size 5, so it's super heavy, and I keep tripping on it. I'm staying down until they decide what's happening on this foot this Tuesday.
Anyway, sewing rm is upstairs and I don't do stairs well in this contraption & crutches. Now if only the benadril would take away this insane itching.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:19 PM

lol lol
Old 01-02-2011, 01:21 PM

Well Thank you. I sure will adopt you. I don't know everything but I can help you with anything you need help with. Just pm me and I'll be here for you. The pictures I posted are just a very few that I have made. I don't even have a tenth of what I have made on my website. I do a lot of craft shows that I sell them at. Like you, I've only been sewing since August 2008.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:17 PM

[quote=tkhooper]Hi Amma, Do you want to be my mommy?

I did one quilt when I was in high school. One more when I was pregnant with my daughter and how have joined a quilting group.

I have a Sample Quilt 38x58 at the point where I am adding sashing and I'll be doing quilted solid blocks on the corners.

And I've bought the material for one and pattern for 3 Geisha panels that I want to make into Window Quilts.

Sorry to butt in, but what's a "Window" quilt? I'm new to this site, but have been quilting in a hand-quilting group for 6.5 yrs, even tho I learned to quilt from my Granny when I was 14 (LONG time ago - ). ;) We rotate thru the members & so far I've completed 2 quilts, got another on the Q-snap frame almost finished (except for the border area on one end & putting on the binding). I have 2 promised quilts for grandkids (1 that needs machine embroidery added to the top & the other that hasn't been cut-out yet). :roll: Hmmm... I don't make resolutions anymore, but if I were, guess I need to get busy on those.... :oops:
Old 01-02-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
If you want your quilt to really stand out in a competition... RED
Red draws attention
Purple means royalty
Green means Healing
Blue means speaking truth (also indigo)
Orange means creativity
Yellow means focus
Pink means Gods love, spiritual
White means pure or pain in life
Gold means focus, purity, no anger
Deb D
What does Brown mean? I've got a friend whose quilt has orange, yellow, pink & fuschia w/ a brown print border & sashings & it's just gorgeous! We're working on it now.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Decoratenu
Originally Posted by stevendebbie25
If you want your quilt to really stand out in a competition... RED
Red draws attention
Purple means royalty
Green means Healing
Blue means speaking truth (also indigo)
Orange means creativity
Yellow means focus
Pink means Gods love, spiritual
White means pure or pain in life
Gold means focus, purity, no anger
Deb D
What does Brown mean? I've got a friend whose quilt has orange, yellow, pink & fuschia w/ a brown print border & sashings & it's just gorgeous! We're working on it now.
Sorry, these where notes from a retreat class, and it's all they shared on colors, no browns.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:09 PM

[quote=Decoratenu]
Originally Posted by tkhooper
Hi Amma, Do you want to be my mommy?

I did one quilt when I was in high school. One more when I was pregnant with my daughter and how have joined a quilting group.

I have a Sample Quilt 38x58 at the point where I am adding sashing and I'll be doing quilted solid blocks on the corners.

And I've bought the material for one and pattern for 3 Geisha panels that I want to make into Window Quilts.

Sorry to butt in, but what's a "Window" quilt? I'm new to this site, but have been quilting in a hand-quilting group for 6.5 yrs, even tho I learned to quilt from my Granny when I was 14 (LONG time ago - ). ;) We rotate thru the members & so far I've completed 2 quilts, got another on the Q-snap frame almost finished (except for the border area on one end & putting on the binding). I have 2 promised quilts for grandkids (1 that needs machine embroidery added to the top & the other that hasn't been cut-out yet). :roll: Hmmm... I don't make resolutions anymore, but if I were, guess I need to get busy on those.... :oops:
Usually called Cathedral Window. Here is a linkL
http://www.ehow.com/how_4855014_make-window-quilts.html
Old 01-02-2011, 04:59 PM

Have you checked out sewing centers for a free motion foot? You can get themfor most machines at Nancy's Notions (http:\\www.nancysnotions.com) If youir feed dogs don't drop cover them with masking tape. Give it a try on a scrap sandwich. It's sew much fun...drawing with your machine.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:07 PM

Thanks, Debbie ~ I've HAVE heard of these. :thumbup: Thanks for the link, I printed out the instructions & will pass them along to my DIL who lives in IL. It's been an especially bad winter & I'm sure these would help. Thanks again -- this is a great website, but how does anyone get anything done??!! :-D
Old 01-02-2011, 05:11 PM

Oh my. I'm so sorry to hear of your dilemma. I can't hardly walk any more myself because of a birth defect. I'm going to a new surgeon and pain management doctor soon. Hopefully they will find something to help with the pain other than 8 10mg Oxycodones every day.