Newbies challenge

Old 01-04-2011, 03:34 AM

I'm a newbie and need a mentor. Doing ok for beginner. Learn alot from you vet's and tutorials but need one on one coaching. Thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by diamond99lv1
hi debra, my name is esther...i;m so happy i got a home...lol thank you for adopting me, yes it is going to be fun...i live in las vegas and i'm disabled...so i do have time to do some sewing...i have done some quilting in the past,and also paper picesing, i love doing that...anyway email when you can...aloha for now...esther
[email protected]
What are you working on? I'm trying to get my scraps cleaned up. I've been doing Kansas Trouble quilt pattern along with trying to get some of my BOM finished that I started last year. lol This is what I get for getting excited going into a quilt shop. You want to do everything. I did get a paper pieced Christmas tree skirt done. It can be used as a table cloth. It was 60 inches across. It is now in the local shop as a display. She does shows and using it in her booth space. Have you looked at the BOM on this web site? Let me know how I can help.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:20 PM

I'm a newbeeeeeeee pick me
Old 01-04-2011, 08:49 PM

I would be happy to mentor you if you would like. I don't know everything and I've only been sewing for 2 1/2 years but I'm making custom king quilts now to order. I have learned everything from the basic quilting squares to stained glass to applique. I have even made some fabric mosaics. I'll send pics if you would like to see or check back several postings and you'll see some of my quilts I showed.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:05 AM

Thank you. I have only been quilting for a couple of months now. I've never really had a telant in the area of sewing or any type of craft projects then one day a couple months ago I was looking at some quilts to buy which are expensive and thought to myself I wonder if I could do this so that's where my quilting story begins. I just finished my table runner I've been working on. I will send pics. Made a few mistakes which I know are expected. My next project is going to be a lap quilt for the couch. I was planning on doing the dissapearing 9 patch. Looks easy and pretty. Any questions I have I will be asking and then some. Speaking of questions, I do have one regarding the runner I just made. When quilting the 3 layers together I noticed in the back it's kind of puckered in some area's. I thought I was careful when working layers through machine but do you have any suggestions or advise as to what would cause this. Thanks for your help.

Marguerite
Old 01-05-2011, 07:39 AM

I would like to have someone adopt me! I have a bow tie quilt that I lap quilted. Now about all I do it tie them, I would love to have quilt frame, but $ and space are tight right now. The one quilt I would love to do is the double wedding ring. I tried once and just could not get the hang of it. Anyone willing to help me?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:11 AM

There are several types for double wedding ring quilt patterns. This is not the easiest quilt pattern. I would suggest there is a company it I think of the company that has templates out of plexa glass that is pink in color. That makes your cutting out easier and a lot more accurate. Now for me to think about the name. I have a set of them.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:25 PM

It's going to be a tension issue. What I would do is get two pieces of scrap fabric and a piece of batting. These don't have to be large pieces. Just big enough so that you can see if you have adjusted your tension correctly. Adjust your tension so that the stitches are even on both sides. Without knowing what kind of machine you have and how old the machine is, this is the best way to tell you how to check to see if your tension is right. Before I quilt the tops I always have a scrap "sandwich" (meaning one piece of batting between fabric) to test the tension. Always check this because the different fabrics, threads, and batting can change the tension. One other thing that I have learned the hard way is if you free motion quilt, go real slow around curves. If you don't, your stitches will pull in the back and it looks awful. If you need anything, just ask.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:59 AM

dpparris, I wish I could help you on a wedding ring but I've never done one..... My mother-in-law made one for us on our 25th anniversary but she did it by hand.
I might have a quilt frame solution for you though. My first quilt frame was just 4 1x2's. My husband drilled holes in the middle of the boards so you could put a bolt through them to hold the boards together in a square. His grandmother had one in her one room cabin that was hung from the ceiling. She would drop it down and quilt and roll the ropes around the corners to put it back up. She quilted tons of quilts that way. You could wrap batting and a fabric piece around each board to attach your quilt sandwich. Roll the sandwich around one board and bolt the corners..... then you could reach across to the other side. I quilted my first quilt on the one my DH made for me and it was cheap. Now I have a homemade frame that sits on the floor with gears to wind up the quilt sandwich. I bought it at an auction.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:54 AM

Thanks. That makes sense. I will test it out on my next project.