Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
discouraged >

discouraged

discouraged

Old 01-08-2011, 05:08 AM

Check your local Sr. Center see if they have a quilting group. We make lap quilts for charity. It is fun and a good learning experience.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:12 AM

Check your local library for quilting books. I learned to quilt from books and back 40 years there were not a lot available. Check at local quilt shops to see if there is a club or guild near you. Our local guild has lots of new quilters coming in. I can't speak to all guilds, but ours welcomes newbies.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:15 AM

oops forgot, you can take classes online. www.quiltuniversity.com has beginner classes. Not sure when they run, but am sure you could check with them to see when beginner class will run. They do cost a bit, but hopefully you could save up to take the beginner class.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:17 AM

I have been quilting for over ten years mostly self taught but I have gone to big quilting shows and taken lessens from some of the top teachers out there.I would say most quilters help each other out,you do not say where you live but if you lived near me you would be invited to my quilt studio so I could show you what your doing wrong or right.First off cutting accuratly is most important,second learning to sew a scant 1/4 inch seam,third understanding the instructions,and yes pressing the right way your back should look as good as your front so when you start quilting you don't have lumps that your sewing machine has to go thru.A good ruler and rotary for cutting.I am a long arm quilter and live in Langhorne Pa.Ask your questions we would all like to help you become the best you can be.
Elaine from Pa.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:46 AM

Welcome but please don't be discouraged. Check out some quilting books from the library that will help. There's also tons of information on quilting on the 'net. There's a lot of us that have never had any kind of "classes", we just taught ourselves. As beginners, they may not be "perfect" but as we continue we improve.

You don't want to "iron" your seams though, you want to "press" them. Big difference!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:50 AM

This site has helped me tremendously. Even if I don't post a question, someone else has & I can read the answers. If Ido post a questions, everyone here is happy to help. Good Luck & don't give up.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Babes
Iwant to quilt. I started a quilt and put it aside as i read a book on making squares and i was off track. Now i have started just a block. i cannot afford the classes in my area and do not have any friends that do crafts. What is with all of this ironing seams this way and that? i read the board every day.
Sorry you're feeling so discouraged, I get that way sometimes, too. I had to move away from a wonderfully supportive quilting group (free, too) & haven't found a replacement. But one day I decided to tackle a (small) project I've been wanting to learn to do & I DID IT!! What a boost it was. My husband is now my sole cheering section. So, I suggest you pick a small project, just one square even, focus on the instructions, complete it & post a photo here. Let everyone here be your cheering section. Altho' I don't often post anything I daily read here & feel so encouraged & even part of a quilting group.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:07 AM

Washington here, again. You need to let us know where you are. You might just have a neighbor waiting to give you some help!!

Carreen
Old 01-08-2011, 06:17 AM

Have you looked at the Missouri Star Quilt Company site? They have tutorials that are really easy to follow. You would be putting blocks together in no time www.missouriquiltco.com. Look under community too. It is a forum like this so you get even more input!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:18 AM

Have to thank you for posting this query, i too am like you and about to embark on a quilt, (just waiting for the material to arrive from Canada), and i've learnt something from this wonderful site, in fact this passed week since i found this lovely site i've learnt so much.
It's such a shame that you are all in the USA, i can't find anyone locally in the UK that would help me, in fact i thought i found a group and when i phoned i was told that they don't help people but meet to stitch and chat, and that they don't have time to help people, sort of put me off for a long time,
But hey, i've got you guys and gals now so i'm on my way, just wish my material would hurry up and arrive,