Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
discouraged >

discouraged

discouraged

Old 01-08-2011, 06:19 AM

Welcome from Nebraska. You are just starting...stop worrying about perfection. No quilt is ever perfect. The important thing is that it is made with love. The world won't end if your seams don't all go the prescribed direction.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:40 AM

Just be sure to "press seams" not iron like you do clothing. You lay the iron on the seam and hold for a second and two, lift iron and move down down the seam. This keeps your fabric from stretching.

I hated to iron when I first started quilting but now it's become second nature and part of the fun and the experience because of the beautiful end product.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:42 AM

Take ur time, read anything u can, ask questions here. Start easy, 4Patch? 9Patch? Don't let it get to u. Its like every other skill, u gotta put ur time in lol. Something I ran into was to be sure and square up ur blocks. Either as u go or all at once. Then ur not sad when everything seems kinda wonky. There is a couple of ways, but the easiest might be for u to just buy a square of what ever block ur using ei 6 1/2,8 1/2 etc. My SIL made a bunch of blocks but they would not fit together so she gave up. She did not know about squaring them up.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:43 AM

Welcome from England. I'm learning so much from youtube and this forum. Keep on quilting and just google or do search at the top of this page when you have a question/problem and you'll get lots of helpful tips. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:44 AM

are you anywhere near NYC? I'm willing to meet you and help

Laurie
Old 01-08-2011, 06:45 AM

Welcome to the site..... there are many here to encourage you.... just let us know how we can help.

Don't let all the details stop you from trying things.... I've learned so much from my own mistakes.... and I had a friend that said she didn't ever want to make something perfect..... others wouldn't know she made it.

I've been quilting almost 40 years.... pm me if I can be of help. I'll try to find the answer for you if I don't have it mayself.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:48 AM

Missouri Star Quilt Company has a tutorial series for a small baby quilt that is free on You Tube or connect through their website. They are great and you could take those same principles for a larger quilt. Also, if you have a LQS, they can be very helpful even if you don't take classes. Local quilds can do the same.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:54 AM

Search you tube for videos. Sometimes is easier to learn while watching rather than reading.

Maybe if you post where you are from someone here is from the same area and can help. I have met some great women here.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:04 AM

I have been instructed to always press toward the dark side. Then I press it on the other. You can also hand press, by squessing it and flattening it between your fingers. If you don't do either your quilting will not be as precise. If you are not pressing try pressing and if you are try not. You WILL see the difference.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:12 AM

ironing is tricky; it is ez to distort fabric & a good foundation{seams} = less frustration

http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....ms+open&u=&s=0

click on the above link,
{from the search feature} to read about ironing!

good luck!