Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
discouraged >

discouraged

discouraged

Old 01-08-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Maia B
Look in the classifieds for a recent offering of Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!! It was one of my early instructional books and I still use it. Might be free, will be a bargain, for sure. You press the seam allowances to one side, usually toward the darker fabric, but also so that when seam allowances meet, they go in opposite directions and nest snuggly. Almost forgot...WELCOME! And don't get too discouraged. The learning curve us shorter than ever, look for YouTube tutorials and videos. Lots if freebies on this site. I post giveaways fairly often. Declutters my studio, puts my unused items to use, rectifies wasted purchases, and hopefully "pays it forward" for all the blessings I've received from other quilters.
My grandma used to say two things. 1. A blind man would be pleased to see it. 2.) the Bible says, "As you sow so shall you reap. I say, 'As you sew so shall you rip."

Don't be discouraged. Start simple. Watch Youtube tutorials and Tutorials on this board. Book mark what you want to go back to. People here are very generous with their time to help new ones. You will get it. sometimes I draw a pattern out in a notebook. So I can see how the pieces fit.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:30 PM

If you are either new Dallas, Tx or Stuart, Fla, pm me and I will help you get started...for gosh sake, don't give up...the internet is a endless source of info...If I am not quilting, buying fabric I am on the internet checking out quilting....spend little time cooking, cleaning and sleeping...in that order...you will so enjoy your first quilt...memepeggy
Old 01-08-2011, 04:18 PM

I agree. Always think the best way to learn is by your mistakes
Old 01-08-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Babes
Iwant to quilt. I started a quilt and put it aside as i read a book on making squares and i was off track. Now i have started just a block. i cannot afford the classes in my area and do not have any friends that do crafts. What is with all of this ironing seams this way and that? i read the board every day.
there are some great quilting videos on youtube. give them a try and don't give up! We were all there ( some of us still are!) once.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Maia B
Look in the classifieds for a recent offering of Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!! It was one of my early instructional books and I still use it. Might be free, will be a bargain, for sure. You press the seam allowances to one side, usually toward the darker fabric, but also so that when seam allowances meet, they go in opposite directions and nest snuggly. Almost forgot...WELCOME! And don't get too discouraged. The learning curve us shorter than ever, look for YouTube tutorials and videos. Lots if freebies on this site. I post giveaways fairly often. Declutters my studio, puts my unused items to use, rectifies wasted purchases, and hopefully "pays it forward" for all the blessings I've received from other quilters.
I love the Quilt, Quilt, Quilt books (1 and 2). They are set up in lessons (I think originally set up for a teacher to follow in doing classes). The lessons walk you through basic techniques. Really easy to follow and great pictures. This poster is right on all points. You can learn a lot by viewing videos, tutorials, etc. And ask anything you care to ask. I have asked a lot of really weird questions and have always been helped by someone. There is always someone who comes up with the answers for you. Welcome to this board. good luck.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:28 PM

I have found the free online tutorials very helpful, and best of all if you save them to your favorites you can go over and over them. Try it. Welcome
Old 01-08-2011, 04:39 PM

You must check out the tutes on Missouri Quilt Co.I am new too and learn all kinds of tricks from them.Good Luck!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:39 PM

Just don't give up! The advice about on line info is great there are any number of tutorials and on line free classes out there and most are very helpful-the other idea about a buddy is good as well-you might try finding a group or starting one with someone who has some experience, not just to teach but just to be available for help and suggestions-I'm in a small group that meets once a week at one of our churches and some are experienced and some beginners but it's great-no one wants to actually teach but they are all willing to help - again, don't give up-you'll find we are our own worst critics! :lol:
Old 01-08-2011, 05:03 PM

Her hello post says she lives in Hudsonville Michigan...so if someone from that area pm's her if they can help her out i'm sure she would appreciate it. Having someone show me how to press opposite to "make the seams fit" did not make sense until someone showed me in person.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:04 PM

Welcome to the Quilting Board. I have learned a lot from this board. As everyone has said, there are many tutorials on the internet like U tube. Also go to your local library and get some books that has helped me a lot. Our local quilt shop will also help you and show you how to do things and they don't charge for helping you. So maybe you can get some pointers from the quilt shop. Have fun quilting it all comes together.