Newbies challenge

Old 01-08-2011, 08:09 PM

I am an old time quilter. Don't know everything but know enough to keep you going in the right direction .
Old 01-09-2011, 06:53 AM

can u think of any websites?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:00 AM

wow, that is a wonderful idea, being that I am new at this also.
Sometimes just a quick question answered is all we need. I am self taught, so to speak, as I keep reading and looking at pics of quilts etc to help me.

Eisgoow
Old 01-09-2011, 07:04 AM

Applique really looks so beautiful. I will ask you questions on quilting board if I need help. So anything to get me started would be great. Iron them on with sticky paper of some sort I would imagine. But doesn't it fray after a while ?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:08 AM

I'm up for adoption too. I have done basically BOTM (Jan-July) I started in the begining of 09 but did very little because of working 2 jobs. I have 5 kids and a hubby to take care of so I have only got to do bits and pieces. I do know how to do 1/4 seams and I can follow directions.....just need to be pointed int he right direction. :) I keep doing the same blocks over and over (BOTM) because of fear of new ones. LOL So, I'm just trying to perfect all I know.

I have the gloves for FMQ, I have a darning foot and a walking foot. Can anyone help? I have a finished top of rail fence that I would love to FMQ but don't know how. :(

Angie
Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by AngieS
I'm up for adoption too. I have done basically BOTM (Jan-July) I started in the begining of 09 but did very little because of working 2 jobs. I have 5 kids and a hubby to take care of so I have only got to do bits and pieces. I do know how to do 1/4 seams and I can follow directions.....just need to be pointed int he right direction. :) I keep doing the same blocks over and over (BOTM) because of fear of new ones. LOL So, I'm just trying to perfect all I know.

I have the gloves for FMQ, I have a darning foot and a walking foot. Can anyone help? I have a finished top of rail fence that I would love to FMQ but don't know how. :(

Angie
I take classes when I can, distance & winters prevent that in ND. I like self taught also. http://www.ericas.com/quilting/tools/skillbuilder.htm
I strongly suggest this site, start with the Skill Builder DVD & Companion book & the 1st x3 practice panels. This will help you develop skills for lots of fancier quilting. Then continue to practice on a sample sandwich quilt, not one you've pieced, or from your scraps, piece the split rail a few sections, so you can have something to try feathers & stitch designs, before moving to your nice quilt project.
Page 84 has notes from a natl teacher, Sharon Schamber, I took 2 days of her classes on machine quilting & long arm. Pg 87 has lots of links. I believe near pg 83 I started posting to this group, and have shared MANY links to youtube, tutorial, patterns, and I've shared my notes from classes. If you could take the time to go back from Pg 83 (about) and come forward to here, you'll be able to save links in your favorites, print off directions and tips, and find a lot of good information from many of the quilters. With this Newbie group, might be worth reading from the pg 1 message on, just skim through and catch all the quilt tips. It's almost an over load, so I save them.

I also raised 5 kids, (4 under 2 yrs apart each), and my husband worked, usually away from home. All 5 got chicken pox for me at the same time, UGH! I think it got harder as they became teenagers, and now they are all grown & "gone?" seems even harder yet...can't send them to their room any more. But I'd sew at the dining table, and I'm a bit of a low need sleeper, late night owl, so I'd find myself sewing holiday dresses and Christmas projects until 2-3:00am, only quiet time. Sometimes I'd even sneek a nap with the babies. Of course I didn't do this 24/365/yr, but many many nights. Now I have a 3 yr, very busy, grandma's shadow, granddaughter with me.
I bought her a 'noise' vacuum, she follows me to clean.
I bought her a battery sewing machine, she knows how to get the material in, no thread, just lets it feed through. And I let her play with the fabric in my scrap bin only.
Enjoy quilting. when it becomes stressful, or hectic, put it aside. Little one's grow up way too fast. BUT, mom needs a piece of 'inner heaven' to keep sane... bubble bath, or sewing machine, or evening walk with hubby... a few minutes to yourself helps. Hope you find these links helpful.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:02 AM

I just got home with my new toy! A 85 year old lady that goes to the Eastern Star with me found out that I was quilting and she said she had a quilting frame that she can't use anymore and that she would be happy to give it to me. I will post pictures when I have time to set it up. Today was my lucky day!!! :)
Old 01-09-2011, 09:17 PM

way to go. have fun.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:37 PM

There are several ways to applique. Wonder under, an adhesive paper that turns your piece of fbric into an iron on, needleturn, which is just as it sounds. You baste your pieces and use your needle to turn under a narrow seam allowance and blind stitch. There is also an old time method alled raw edge that you baste your pieces and buttonhole stitch aroun the edges. They all work and all look good. You just have to find out the one that appeals to you.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:40 PM

Yep that would be me! I am a seriously new newbie... I have spent time on websites and time downloading patterns and directions and have a brand new machine for Christmas. I am learning a lot in here I have read A LOT here... ready to be adopted by someone who thinks of themselves as... "patient" and "PC savvy" because I am very much "eye hand coordinated" and need to see what it being wrote or talked about...
I look forward to this experience in here. I am Christian and my calling is a "prayer warrior"
... I will be praying for adoption :-)