Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jelly Roll >

Jelly Roll

Jelly Roll

Old 11-06-2010, 04:21 PM

I think it depends on the pattern. I did a quilt top with a jelly roll in one night (and that was my first 'real' quilt ever). It did take me over a year to get the thing quilted though.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by cindle
Ok so I went to the lqs today and the jelly rolls were all around $60 so I didn't end up getting one. Why are they so expensive I just couldn't comprehend spending that much on a jelly roll when I could get a few meters of fabric at other stores for less then that. Just me I thought it was kind of a lot.
It's a shocking amount, isn't it? Especially since at that price you're paying about $30 per metre for fabric. If you have a little stash or some friends to trade with you could each buy a metre or even 1/2 metre and cut up your own jellyrolls to share.
They charge all the market can bear because it's fabric from an entire collection. I suspect with the way the GO cutters are getting more accessible in cost, precut fabrics will start getting a little more realistic in price.
There are posts here on the board of fellow quilters willing to cut for a small fee per piece or strip, so things will probably change in the long run.
You might want to go have a look at the Connecting Threads website. One thing I really like about their pre-cuts is that the exact amount of fabric contained is listed for each one, and the cost for cutting is very very small.
Shipping to Canada is very reasonable, too. Flat rate of $7 for orders over $50 if I remember correctly. There are a number of websites with very reasonable shipping and pretty decent prices.
Have fun and shop carefully............
Hugs from PEI
Old 11-06-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Check out this 40% off sale on Jelly rolls! http://www.fabricandetc.com/ Usually jelly rolls are $27 to $35 dollars. A jelly roll will have 40 -44 2 1/2" fabric strips that are 42" long.
Wow, that is only about 2 3/4 yards of fabric for 35.00? and up....It would be better to buy yardage and cut your own.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:30 PM

Yes, with a jelly roll you pay for the convenience of having it pre cut and also for the bonus of having all of the different prints in a line. It's definitely cheaper to buy yardage.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:18 AM

One little tip: if you have a Joann nearby, they have a very small selection of jelly rolls (at least, the ones in the Chicago area do). They're usually themed fabrics - the ones I've seen recently were blue and pink batiks, earthy jewel batiks and a lime/white themed roll - 20 strips and 40 strips. They are expensive retail - $25 for the 20 strip rolls and $45, I think, for the 40-strip ones - but they were just clearancing out some of the designs and I was able to get 2 of the 40-strip rolls for $30 total. Add in a 20% off your entire order coupon (you can find that online through Feb 10) and you've got a pretty sweet deal!