Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I doing this right? >

Am I doing this right?

Am I doing this right?

Old 02-04-2011, 12:21 PM

One of the things that you can do is when you get several pieces sewed together (like the top half of one block) lay it on one of the lines on your mat. Check to see if the edges are straight. It is easier to check at this time than to rip out. That is going to be a pretty quilt. you go girl!
Old 02-04-2011, 12:27 PM

Looks good. Do quilting for fun and the love you put into it for the receiver.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Hi---there are 2 great quilt shops in your area that I know of---one is The Pressure Foot in Longmont and Quality Sewing also in Longmont---have been in both and they are really friendly and helpfull---also check with the county extention office---good luck
Old 02-04-2011, 01:06 PM

Your work is lovely. I think quilters are tougher on themselves than others. As far as ripping out, I call it frog sewing (rip it, rip it, rip it) We all have to do some of that.
The recipient of this beautiful gift will LOVE it.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:23 PM

We are our own worst critics. Looks good to me. Very cute.
snownannie
Old 02-04-2011, 01:26 PM

I just looked at where you live. I was born in Fort Collins and we lived in Loveland. My grand parents lived out by the Big Thompson school until they passed many years ago. I loved it there as a child. Lots of memories.
snownannie
Old 02-04-2011, 01:26 PM

You will get over being so hard on yourself when you accept yourself as a human, none of us is perfect, only the Lord. The people making Turkish rugs put in a mistake on purpose, knowing they are not perfect themselves.
I taught folk art painting for years, (rosemaling) and when a student didn't like their work or thought it should be better or a line was a bit crooked, I told them to set it aside, and look at it again tomorrow and they wouldn't see what they were complaining about. Your work looks fine to me; there is no perfect quilt, we all are proud of what we do and only we have to know how hard we worked on a piece.

A blind man running for his life will never notice, I was told once.

Carol J.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:28 PM

Looks to me like you are doing a great job. I agree with everyone else here. Don't be so hard on yourself. Quit ripping out your quilts. Life is too short for that. You will learn something on every quilt you make. We are our worst critics. You need to just relax and enjoy the process. Quilting is suppossed to be a HOBBY! I promise when you finish this quilt and stand back away from it you are going to be thrilled with the final product. So thrilled you will want to start another one right away!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:58 PM

I was told early on by a professional quilter that I should NOT worry about matching seams and points right away......to spend my "worry time" on color. The rest will eventually fall into place. Just have fun with it!
Old 02-04-2011, 04:19 PM

Looks fine to me and I love the butterfly and green fabric, would like to see this when finished.