Newbies challenge

Old 02-05-2011, 03:35 AM

Help!!!!! Actually not at the moment, but I did buy one of the small quilting packages in Walmart and will be starting it soon. This will be my big splash. I love quilts and my mother made "king" size quilts for all of her children and grandchildren. They were lovely, cherished gifts. My plan is to keep the tradition going in my family. Mom can't see as well as she once did, plus many miles separate us so if I could have a mentor on this site it would be awesome. I'm so impressed as I read such heartfelt encouragement from this group. Thanks for making us newbies feel like we CAN DO IT.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:30 AM

I have only been quilting for about two years, but I feel fairly confident in all the basics. I have taken several; classes from both local talent and national teachers. I learned to Paper Piece from Carol Doke and her method is very simple and easy to learn. I have many reference books that I can go to if you have questions that I'm not sure about the answer, or we can put the question out to the Board and someone is bound to know the answer. I have a Brother sewing/quilting/embroidery machine. This month I am taking a class in FMQ (Free Motion Quilting. I live in Florida, but I have Windows live with Instant Messenger, Verizon Wireless with no charge if you also have Verizon, Skype, or regular email. So distance is no problem. If you think I could be of some help to you please PM me, (click on my name....It will take you to a place with my biography,
and all types of information about me, Click on the sentence that says: 'send PM Private Message'. Type your message in the boxz that appears and I will answer you ASAP!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:36 PM

I started reading this post when it started, and can't believe all the folks that are adopting....what a great thing. I am new as well. I wouldn't mind having a mommy to mentor me! I started last January and have pieced two quilts, one was just returned to me by the long armer and the other one is being hand quilted for a gift. I have pieced 3 table runners...two on the machine, one is waiting to be hand quilted. I have made several potholders honing my ditch quilting and practicing on bindings. I am making a curved 9 patch table runner now. I still work FULL time....I am self employed and my boss is difficult :)
Old 02-07-2011, 07:23 PM

This sounds like fun, I'll adopt one, the first one to pm me.
I am NOT a traditional quilter, I know nothing about squaring up, mitering or fancy borders. I use to hand quilt, but now everything is free motion quilted. You do not want to choose me if you are wanting to learn squares and triangles. I took my first learn to quilt -sampler- class 2 years ago and it made me cry. I have been quilting since 1977.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:23 PM

Still looking to be adooted. Love batiks. Am very interested inthe two more horses. Want to do that style for a funraiser. I am trying to help my neohew get custody of his chilren, aleast 1 has been sexually molested. The man pleaded out and got 10 years but they play to let hime out soon because the prisons are so full. We need to get them into my nephews custody then out out of the state of OK. Need a mommie to help me do these types of quilts so I can have a fundraiser. Thank you
Old 02-08-2011, 06:00 AM

I was adopted by someone real knowledgeable too already...we clicked as soon as we started discussing quilts and etc. I feel she is like a Guardian Angel when I get into tight places with my quilts..
Old 02-08-2011, 06:37 AM

could not help but notice your name....almost like mine. No S on last name? Have a great day....enjoyed your post.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:44 PM

i am a new quilter and would love to be adopted. what i have learned is mostly over the net and tryingto figure out just what i am doing. need someone who is very patient ( and doesnt mind repeated questions). let me repeat VERY PATIENT... ty
Old 02-08-2011, 08:34 PM

Have not FM'd yet on anything more than wall hangings doing SITD and border stitches. My machine doesn't have a drop feet foot so can't FM.

Quilting Granny,
Have you ever tried taking an index card and taping it over your feed dogs on your sewing machine so you can try Free Motion quilting? It you fold it in half and tape it on all 4 sides, it should work for you.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:36 AM

bless you! I need help please adopt me! someone please all i've done is collect books and supplies but i haven't tried i am afraid to cut the material and end up with a big mess