Newbies challenge

Old 02-09-2011, 11:29 AM

OH OH OH! PLEASE ADOPT ME!!
But be fore warned. I may hold the title of "dummy quilter" on this board. I could certainly useany and all the help I can get. Im so glad you posted this!!! I have been sending PM's to a few quilters with many of the dumbest questions of the day.r That's why I sent PM's instead of posting it on a board. Read on you will see what your up against before the adoption. I just might be the orphan left at the orphanage unadopted.???
I am having trouble just trying to pick the right materials for a
pattern. Then figuring iut if I have enough if each one to do a pattern. I'M SO CONFUSED AND I AINT OFFICIALLY WUILTING YET. IM. STILL PICKING FABRICS AND PATTERNS.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:01 PM

ok ya'll - I'm a newby too & soooo "newby" ... Trying to read all the posts & can't keep up. I don't know half of what you're talking about here... "FMQ" "SID", FM'd, SITD" ??? I do know about EQ5/6 software (don't have it) & nothing about "longarms"-except I would like one! ... And in keeping with the "challenge" to use scraps, I have a project to start for my daughter's bed quilt, using some current fabs I already have in her room along with some feedsack fabs I recently got off ebay! Don't know if I should mix new fabs w/old feedsacks? Don't know where to start, pattern, size? Anyone want to help this newby?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:14 PM

I need to be adopted too! I have just read books and talked to long arm quilters but I have only pieced a few and want to get thhe basics down - now that I have wandered off the path to self discovery. . . I wish I knew more than everythinks :(
Old 02-09-2011, 04:54 PM

I am a reasionably newby, a couple of years ago I bought a sewing machine and I beleive the spirit if my dead cousin who was a quilter came with it. I just went and got some material and srated sewing, the first thing I made had a 6 inch striped mitred corner. I just did it I didnt know any differant. I didnt know they were difficult.

So my advice if you wish to take it is just get some striped material and have a go what have you to loose and know the difficulty is just in your head.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:52 PM

I hope someone adopts me :thumbup:
Old 02-10-2011, 07:24 AM

wow, I have a cat that is EXACT same as cat in your avatar.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

I guess this is the time to crawl out of the shadow! I am a am even new at being a newbe. Hubby and I went to our local machine dealer last Dec. just to see what was new. Saw a megaquilter with frame and stich reg. went home with it. Managed to get a few supplies mat,cutter,ect. I have used all the left over material from sewing projects. Have put together one top. I'm not sure what you would even call it. I call it slice em and dice em. It is not very good but is my first. Attended road to CA show and purchased Qbot. Hubby got it all hooked up and ready to go. Then he bought me a VIKING 18x8 for VALENTINES! QBot requires a different wiring harness for this machine so waiting for it before I can get machine going. Boy, talk about newbe have a husband who has spoiled me and scared to death!! Still trying to learn tenison? patterns? short arm, midarm, longarm, what thread, ect. HELP!!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by mighty
I guess this is the time to crawl out of the shadow! I am a am even new at being a newbe. Hubby and I went to our local machine dealer last Dec. just to see what was new. Saw a megaquilter with frame and stich reg. went home with it. Managed to get a few supplies mat,cutter,ect. I have used all the left over material from sewing projects. Have put together one top. I'm not sure what you would even call it. I call it slice em and dice em. It is not very good but is my first. Attended road to CA show and purchased Qbot. Hubby got it all hooked up and ready to go. Then he bought me a VIKING 18x8 for VALENTINES! QBot requires a different wiring harness for this machine so waiting for it before I can get machine going. Boy, talk about newbe have a husband who has spoiled me and scared to death!! Still trying to learn tenison? patterns? short arm, midarm, longarm, what thread, ect. HELP!!
WOW! Thats starting quilting in a BIG way! I didn't even know what you're talking about! Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions on this site! This is a good group!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:27 PM

My cats name is Georgie Girl. I got her as a free for a good home off the internet, I cant imagin how anyone could not just love her.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

I guess it is taking it on in a big way. I have been sewing for 44 years, and have done machine embroidery . To me this is second nature, but sewing clothing is very forgiving. I really have enjoyed making quit top but, boy it is not so forgiving. I have so much to learn even with cutting! However, I will get it .Practice makes perfect I guess. This board has been a real blessing, I have read and read and learned so much. Thank you so much to everyone.