Newbies challenge

Old 02-11-2011, 08:04 AM

LOL!!! Too cute!!! Can I be adopted out???
Old 02-11-2011, 04:31 PM

So her temperment is good? I got mine from a neighbor, as she just came over to me and wanted to stay at my house instead of hers. She would run when they came over after her. I found out from watching that the two older boys (6 ft.) were "mean" to her. So I kept her in the house as much as I could. They finally gave up and said "u can have her".

But because of her upbringing (first 3 to 4 mo) she just hates being held or loved much. She bites and scratches at the least provocation. She wants to be patted when she wants it and will not be picked up by anyone, even us. She is very loyal to us as she picked us to live with. But we just love her no matter what she does. Many stories about her !!
Old 02-12-2011, 02:12 PM

I could use a mentor. I have put together quilts in the past but nothing fancy. I would love for someone to adobt me.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:01 PM

Hi Grama Lehrr, you sound like a match for me. Not sure of your age so can't say which of us would be Mommy! Want to be friends?
Old 02-13-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by quazyquilter
I would like to challenge all the "veteran" quilters on this board to find a "newbie" and adopt one. I have taken one under my wing, so to speak and I am teaching her to quilt via this board, e-mail and the phone.
There are some "newbies" out there that would probably welcome our help and guidance and have lots of questions that maybe they are too shy to ask, or they may not know how to ask about certain things, for fear that they will be considered "dumb questions".
So, QUILTERS,UNITE!!!

p.s. don't take butterjoy, she's mine! :lol: :D :roll:
As I am new to quilting sometimes you just use initials for something like LBW (found out what this means} it might be an idea to help us "newbies" if there is a reference where we can go to find out "Quilt Talk".
Old 02-13-2011, 05:53 PM

She has a loverly tempriment, my husband is her number one servent, the rest of us in decending values. She flopps down in front of us and rolls over to show her belly, demanding we tell her how cute she is. She loves sewing, tossing cottens bobbins and materials on to the floor, and sitting in the midst of the blocks when I am trying to put peices together.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:08 PM

lol...funny how you got two quilting machines before actually learning all about quilting...my son just got my inspira frame assembled tonight and i am just staring at it trying to figure what am i gonna do next...we don't live far from each other so maybe we can learn from each other sometime...good luck with your viking machines
Old 02-14-2011, 04:56 AM

Advice to newbies.... Be brave. The quilting bug bit when I turned nineteen. After a few tries, things weren't going great. There was an ad in the paper for a quilting frame and I called. The lady was sooooo nice. She said she had published a book on quilting. She laughed when I said it took years to get good. Anyway, that was such wonderful encouragement that I got going again. Thirty eight years and I've never stopped.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:05 AM

Hi, has anyone adopted you yet? If you mix new and old fabrics they will wear at different rates. Years from now the old fabrics will likely expose the batting. So consider how long you will keep the quilt, who will get it next, and how often it will be cleaned. If its life will be short, go ahead. If you want it to last a 100 years, it will need gentle care to preserve the older fabrics.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:06 AM

Hi Redmadder -- love your saying about life is bits & pieces ... Were you replying to me asking if I had already been adopted yet? I'm new to this posting & I can't tell if your reply was direct back to me. I wondered if it's me b/c I had asked about using new fabrics w/old feedsacks. The feedsacks are old but never washed/used. I do see your point about mixing & how they will wear different. Tho I wonder if the feedsack materials might wear better than the newer cottons -- the way things are made these days & actually the feedsack materials seem heavier/stronger (thicker, maybe) if that makes sense. Oh, and No, I haven't been adopted yet! Interested? It could be challenging! Should we PM? Thx :)