Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your Sewing Machine? >

Your Sewing Machine?

Your Sewing Machine?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:16 AM

Millstreammom

I have expensive machines and some very old machines to be very truthful I will take my older machines for quilting any day over the expensive machines. the old sears kenmore gives a very good straight stitch and free motion quilts good too. The old old singer only does a straight stitch, but boy can it give you a good stitch and also has more room for free motion quilting. Also I can clean and fix them myself without paying my dealer apprx. 129.00 a year to clean and check my expensive machines. Please don't feel any less for having the machine you have, just use what you can afford and what works for you.

good Luck

suzy
Old 02-17-2011, 07:24 AM

I am a Singer person. I was raised with Singers and just never strayed off. All of my friends have Pfaffs and the high end Brothers, but I always liked the wind in bobbin feature.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:40 AM

We all take different machines to classes, mainly due to weight.
No one really pays attention, we are too busy.As long as you are happy with the stitches, then keep taking your Brother to classes....that's sounds funny....my brother wouldn't be caught in a quilt class....If you want a good dependable starter computer machine, try your local dealer, shop around there, then go to allbrands.com. They always have a deal on a computerized machine and free shipping...also no tax. I have purchased thee machines for daughters and never had any problems at all. They have the following on sale for $299, reg. $500 - Janome DC1050- 50 Stitch Computer Sewing Machine 1/4 & 1/2" Lift, 3x 1Step Buttonhole, Threader, Tack St, Memory Needle Up Down, Speed Limit, Drop Feed. Just a thought....
D in TX
Old 02-17-2011, 07:41 AM

WOW!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:44 AM

I love my 50 stitch Janome and it was very reasonably priced because it was last years model. I also have a 401 Singer Slantomatic from the late 50's. It's a great sewing machine too. I'm not really considering upgrading as these can probably do way more than I can.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Millstream Mom
I was at a sewing class, and was suddenly aware that everyone had fancy expensive computerized sewing machines. I was unexpectedly very embarrassed of my ~$100 Brother machine that I had gotten at Walmart a few years ago. :oops: Which was odd - because I normally don't concern myself with "material things" - no pun intended!
My original machine was a Kenmore that I'd had for about 25yrs - and had fixed 4 times during the last 2 yrs. Finally I kicked it to the curb, and bought the Brother. It seems fine for my needs - basic stitches, but impossible to sew button holes with.
So hopefully I'll get over being prideful until my machine dies a slow and natural demise! In the meantime - can anyone point me in the direction of a reasonably priced product that they would recommend?
Millstream Mom

Why would you get rid of what seems to be working? Just look at the money that you saved on the stitches that you are not using! I guess that what I am trying to say is, if you are happy with your current machine then save your money! Or I guess you have to ask yourself do you really need all you extra stitches, gizmos, and gadgets to sew straight lines? Personally all I need is to go forwards and backwards, straight stitch and zig zag, so everything else would be lost on me! lol
Thoughts to ponder!

TreeFrog
Old 02-17-2011, 08:20 AM

I have a Brother LS1520 that I paid $20. for.
A Singer Fashion Mate 288 that I paid $7. for.
A Singer Fashion Mate 252 that I paid $2. for.

They all work just fine.
I also have 2 others on the carport
with 3 cabinets that were FREE.
That I have not checked out yet.

Ok with me (5 machines) that I paid $29. for.
J J
Old 02-17-2011, 08:33 AM

I am encouraged by your post and the replies to it. I love my cheapy Brother, but felt "funny" at the prospect of taking it to classes. Now I don't. Thank you.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:58 AM

Occasionally I teach basic sewing classes to interested persons, usually they bring their own machines, by far and away the two that show up are inexpensive brothers purchased at walmart, and vintage kenmores. I had one student that took back a balky brother that jumpstarted everything, and she found a pre owned brother at a yard sale for 35$ that was almost new and worked like a charm. I have lots of vintage singer machines for student use, and prefer the simpler machines for teaching the principles involved in sewing. Most of the time the new, flashy machines are just too complicated to absorb when learning to sew. All you really need for quilting is a dependable straight stitch and a few attachments. LESS is always better in my opinion!:)
Old 02-17-2011, 09:06 AM

I have one machine that is a Janome Memory Craft 3000 That is about 18 years old and although I would love to have a Tin Lizzie and a fancy embroidery machine I am very thankful for what I have. I am sure the others in your class thought nothing of it. If they did it is them that has a problem not you.