Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your Sewing Machine? >

Your Sewing Machine?

Your Sewing Machine?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by homequilter
I have a computerized Kenmore and I enjoy sewing with it so much. Yes,I look at other machines and think how nice to have the bells and whistles. Then, I read the manual and find out that I can do some of the same things-so, I enjoy my machine, lug it to class and know that I can sew just as well as the next person with my machine. It's your heart that counts!
I used to own a computerized Kenmore, it worked great until the motherboard burned out 3 years later. I got rid of it and bought another Bernina. Now I've fallen in love with the older Pfaffs that have the IDT.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:38 PM

My Singer treadle and Featherweight machines are my favorite machines for piecing quilts. Someone asked me once if my FW was a toy, she'd never seen one before.
:shock:
Old 02-17-2011, 07:57 PM

heya millstream mom, I know exactly what you mean! I went into a local Beautiful) patchwork shop the other day. The assistant asked what machine I was using & I said A Pfaff hobby1132. 'Oh' is all she said!! I felt so embarrassed! When I landed in Perth 4 mths ago my pfaff was in a container, so I bought a 2nd hand one for $40. Its a bit tempermental, but did the jobs I needed. Its a k-mart 'homemaker'. Then at a local auction, I bought 2 Singer machines for $5 each, had one (singer 507) serviced for $140 & its great to use, I totally love it. Last week I bought 3 sergers for $120. A singer,($108 for service & blades), & a bernina & a globe (?). The last 2 dont have power leads so they're just sitting in a box!! Im so happy with my auction finds!! If your machine works & is comfortable to use, be happy!!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:05 PM

I specifically purchased a small light weight Brother for portability purposes. I have 2 other machines, but they are just too heavy to take to all day quilting events or any other quilting events outside of the home. This machine is great for piecing, quilting and other sewing jobs. Got it at Targets 2-3 years ago.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:07 PM

I know what you mean . I showed up to class and everyone has anew one and here I walk in with my FW. I just laughed and said "well it's the only thing in my house older than I"am. I don't let things like that get to me cause I could have a new fancy machine but at my age the learning curve is more than I want to handle.I just want to make beautiful quilts. To me It's kinda like haveing a new house , sure I"d like one with a sewing room of my design . But I don't want to make house pmts so I'll stick with what I have. :D
Old 02-17-2011, 09:17 PM

I have 2 main machines. One sits at home ( a brother embroidery ) & a brother that goes with me. If fact my mobile brother is sitting on a portable table in my living room because my sewing room is in my bedroom & my DH works 4pm to 1am & sleeps during the day. I have been sewing in the living room before I go to work & that way I don't wake him up. Although he says that my sewing has taken over the whole house. Iron is in the kitchen. Oh well. At least he can sleep.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:51 PM

If it works for you and fits your needs, you are in business.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:57 PM

I agree 100%. Add to your stash of fabric! :)

As long as your machine works and the results make you happy why spend money on something else?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:03 PM

You were blessed...especially the guy in the store..most would not take time to check what they have in back rooms....Great Customer Service!!!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:09 PM

I have a very beautiful and expensive Pfaff machine.. I never take it to class.. I take an old machine that doesn't even have a name on it.. but it straight stitches just fine and that's all that's ever needed in class.. no worry about damaging my beautiful embroidery machine!