Newbies challenge

Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by hoppa
Hi,

Just found this thread and how to post. I am taking my first quilting class this weekend and then next week a FMQ class with my partner. Should be very interesting as not too many males here doing quilting but the shop is very warm and has great iteachers.

Jeff
I met a retired welder who makes extremely beautiful designer quilts and wins in shows. He quilts, she don't.
Manly, talented, artistic, very sweet man. We also have a whole quilt guild that's all men, rather shy, but I think competetive among each other to challenging projects.
Look at designers, those who develop the machines, we're not all female. I quilt because I have no artistic talent, and my husband & 5 children all are very artistic. I know men who knit or crochet or counted cross stitch also. Seems a stress release no matter what it is, beats an alternative, and not everyone likes to go fishing. Enjoy
Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 AM

Debbie,

Thabks for the wonderful reply. Do not say that you do noy have artistic talent as it sure takes that to make a quilt. I believe that everyone has an artistic talent in themselves it just takes the right person to nring it out of them. I was very closeminded when I stared doing art till a dear friend brought me out of the box and it has been alot of fun to see myself grow.

jeff
Old 02-23-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by hoppa
Hi,

Just found this thread and how to post. I am taking my first quilting class this weekend and then next week a FMQ class with my partner. Should be very interesting as not too many males here doing quilting but the shop is very warm and has great iteachers.

Jeff
Jeff good luck on your class...I hope someone did tell you that quilting is very addictive!! My son made his first quilt when he was only 9. He is now 28 and has his own christian clothing line he designs. Mostly shirt designs. He has won several design contests within the past couple of months too. I love to hand applique and strip piece anything I can cut with the rotary cutter I love to do. If you have any questions I can answer for you in those areas PM me a message. Put quilt board in the subject. Good luck and Happy Stitchin' Linda B.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:25 PM

Thank you Linda for offering to answer any questions I may have privately also. Yes I do know that it can be addicting as just adding it to my other interests, good thing I have a decent sized studio but just may have to destash some other arts.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:41 PM

Ok, I am a "Newbie", I do not know what LBW is....help like u say for sure.

Shar - Quilted Dogs
Old 02-24-2011, 12:56 PM

Well Shar I have been quilting for over 40 years and I don't know what LBW is either?? You have stumped me on that one. Maybe someone else here can answer you.
Here is a list of the most common acroymns for quilting that I am aware of.
OK I think I know what it stands for now...is it---Linda B Wonders? *LOL*
Happy Stitchin' Linda B.

Quilter's Acroynms
BOB--Beginner Only Block
BOM--Block of the Month
BOW--Block of the Week
CW--Cathederal Window
D9P--Disappearing 9 patch
DSM--Domestic Sewing Machine
DWR--Double Wedding Ring
FART--Fabric Aquisition Road Trip
FIU--Finish It Up
FMQ--Free Motion Quilting
FQ--Fat Quarter
GED--Get 'er Done!! (oh thats Larry the cable guy's line)
HST--Half Square Triangle
HSY--Haven’t Started Yet
LAQ--Long Arm Quilter
LQS--Local Quilt Shop
MAQ--Mid Arm Quilter
OBW--One Block Wonder
PHD--Project Half Done
PIGS--Projects in Grocery Sacks
QW--Quilters Retreat
SABLE--Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy
SBS--Sun Bonnet Sue
SEX--Stash Enhancing eXperience (or eXcursion)
STASH--Special Treasures All Secretly Hidden
SITD--Stitch in the Ditch
TGIF--Thank God I'm Finished
TOT--Tone on Tone
UFO--UnFinshed Object
WHIMM--Works Hidden In My Mind
WIP--Work In Progress
WISP--Work In Slow Progress
WIVSP--Work In Very Slow Progress
WIWMI--Wish It Would Make Itself
WOF--Width of Fabric
WOMBAT--Waste of Money, Batting & Time
WOW--White On White
WWIT--What Was I Thinking

Originally Posted by Quilted Dogs
Ok, I am a "Newbie", I do not know what LBW is....help like u say for sure.

Shar - Quilted Dogs
Old 02-24-2011, 01:15 PM

I am willing to adopt - did this before with a couple of quilters and hopefully I was able to help them - I do hand and machine piecing, some FMQ (good results, need more practice but my BabyLok is a wonder with FMQ.....)can help organize a sewing room with minimal money, don't sell my work commercially, don't have a long arm, not great at math, I like applique, know how to do paper piecing but can't stand it....send PM if you are interested.....and I HATE pina coladas!!!!:-)
Old 02-24-2011, 01:27 PM

I would really enjoy learing how to PP... I have a general idea.. So many tutorials give directions for about 2-3 steps then tut is over. :)
Old 02-24-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Eisgoow
So her temperment is good? I got mine from a neighbor, as she just came over to me and wanted to stay at my house instead of hers. She would run when they came over after her. I found out from watching that the two older boys (6 ft.) were "mean" to her. So I kept her in the house as much as I could. They finally gave up and said "u can have her".

But because of her upbringing (first 3 to 4 mo) she just hates being held or loved much. She bites and scratches at the least provocation. She wants to be patted when she wants it and will not be picked up by anyone, even us. She is very loyal to us as she picked us to live with. But we just love her no matter what she does. Many stories about her !!

That sounds like my little calico. I got her from some new neighbors who kept her in the garage all the time. I had asked if they had that a calico when I saw a little black & white kitten in the house. She said yes and went and got her. She sat on my shoulder, got down and I said if she comes back to me, I was taking her home. And she came back and sat on my shoulder again. So we took her home. We called her Minky because she felt like a mink coat. She is now 17 1/2 years old and owns the house. Every time I get my quilting out, she is there on top of it!
Old 02-24-2011, 03:19 PM

Jeff what area of Nevada are you? Just wondered if you are near Reno. If so what shop are you taking your class at? I have been to Windy Moon there and it's a fantastic shop. My brother lives in Reno.