Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are there any beauticians here? >

Are there any beauticians here?

Are there any beauticians here?

Old 03-17-2011, 09:51 AM

Ah yes the era of hair coloring. I colored mine faithfully until one day I ended up with GREEN hair and it wasn't even St. Patty's day. It was the time of wigs and I washed my hair at night. Wore a wig to work the next day and washed my hair again at night. It took quite a while before the green and green tinge were gone. That was the last time. I just let it be and go gray. Gray is so much more of a natural hair color and more becoming than GREEN.
Rita
Old 03-17-2011, 11:11 AM

I'm a beautician and my first opinion is to see a professional! If you don't have experience with doing a bleach service and a tint back one you may have another problem in the making. The blonde area, depending on how light it is can get some very masty color casts by putting a too dark color over it without a filler. Again trying to bleach out or color remove the black can also give unwanted results. It has to be watched very closely or there can be damage to the hair. A demi color would be the best choice on the blonde..it is a deposit only and use one shade lighter than the desired results. But now maybe you have started a new trend..lol. JMHO
Old 03-17-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by ido2much
I'm a beautician and my first opinion is to see a professional! If you don't have experience with doing a bleach service and a tint back one you may have another problem in the making. The blonde area, depending on how light it is can get some very masty color casts by putting a too dark color over it without a filler. Again trying to bleach out or color remove the black can also give unwanted results. It has to be watched very closely or there can be damage to the hair. A demi color would be the best choice on the blonde..it is a deposit only and use one shade lighter than the desired results. But now maybe you have started a new trend..lol. JMHO
I didn't bleach any.
My hair is 90% grey with just some darker hair left at the nape.
So all I did was put a temporary med brown and also a temp. lt. brown on, unfortunately in the wrong places.
I've washed my bangs with Dawn today already. I'll do it again in the morning.
I really appreciate everyone's suggestions.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:29 AM

Since it's a temporary color you can also try a good clarifying shampoo, it's made to remove all types of chemicals out of the hair. but just use a very good conditioner after it. I never heard of using dawn but who knows it just may work ok. Even with a semi-permanent color be careful of the choice for the blond section. It will have a tendancy of "grabbing" the color faster so watch your timing and check it often by wiping some color off a small piece and look at it. if its not enough put a little more on and watch again. You probably won't need the full amount of time. Good luck
Old 03-17-2011, 11:31 AM

My son was at one of our US Military Academies and home on leave. He's a natural blond but had been wearing a hat so much his hair was getting darker. I agreed to 'lighten' it for him. It came out a lovely peach color...not a natural tone and one he would get in big trouble for. Called the company and they told us to put Head and Shoulders on his dry hair for half an hour and then wash it out. Let us know how it turns out!
Old 03-17-2011, 01:23 PM

A beautician friend of mine told me to use a baking soda paste on my grandaughter's hair when she (accidentally?) dyed it green. It didn't completely resolve the problem but it sure helped. Can't hurt.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:29 PM

I'm not a hair dresser, but have colored my own hair for 15 years and also many of my friends. some of my friends have had their professional hair stylists ask where they got their hair colored because it looks so professional. please please please, do NOT use bleach or a stripper of any kind, these can be very hard on your hair, not to mention mess up the color even worse. Just re-color it. I've also done it twice in one day when necessary with no ill effects. if you decide not to do this, you can use a Redken men's shampoo called Go Clean. It won't remove the hair color, but it will help to lighten it up a little so maybe it isn't as noticeable. Good Luck!!!
Old 03-17-2011, 02:23 PM

I think I would give up and call a profesional for help. I did my own hair once and ended up with what my hubby called "hooker hair" it was really bad! I went and got it fixed since I thought I might make it worse if I tried to do it myself.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:31 PM

I have been a beautian for 43 years the answer to this is go to Sally Beauty supplu get color remover, Put it on the hair mix with water it will remove the color and then you may start agin if there isnt a Salley supply by you try to buy some Prell shampoo(this has a lot of detergent in it) shampoo youre hair let it set in for a while also if you have some peroxide 20 volume you may put 2 caps of theis in it to this helpsa get the dk color out hope this is helpful
Old 03-17-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Plain Jane
...... Called the company and they told us to put Head and Shoulders on his dry hair for half an hour and then wash it out. Let us know how it turns out!
Really? that's interesting too. I guess any shampoo with a lot of detergent type stuff in it would work.