Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
anyone else remember the days when they clipped and ripped the fabric? >

anyone else remember the days when they clipped and ripped the fabric?

anyone else remember the days when they clipped and ripped the fabric?

Old 04-13-2011, 03:36 AM

When they rip the fabric, it does stretch a bit, but in the olden days (60's-90's), they "gave you" a couple extra inches!

Now the few stores I shop in, are down to the exact inch! Hellloooooooo???? what about shrinkage? not to mention the uneven cuts. Sometimes, esp. with young salesgirls, I watch carefully that I'm getting the yardage I asked for.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:42 AM

I also remember the little machine that nipped then the clerk ripped but in that day we bought our fabric at Wards Sears and Penny's also was taught in home ec was the only way to straighten fabric
Old 04-13-2011, 03:49 AM

I have been getting fabric that is unevenly cut. One piece I ripped when I got it home and it was 6" on one end and less than an inch on the other end. I don't think this was done at the shop but from the factory. I very seldom rip my fabric unless it is really off.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:50 AM

I do on occasion still to this day. Especially when I have to cut a lot of strip for strip sets, then I know that they are actually straight, because sometimes they are wavy :(
Old 04-13-2011, 04:02 AM

I love to rip strips - great for venting frustrations! Of course this means a little extra work, because then I'll have to iron all those edges to make sure they lay flat.

Most everything else is cut with a rotary cutter - I detest cutting my fabric with scissors. The edges just aren't crisp enough for me.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:03 AM

I still do it when I need a wide piece because I find it's more accurate in size than cutting with my rotary cutter. I often rip the length of fabric for a border. Just iron the ripply edge with steam and it should un-stretch.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:12 AM

I know they still rip the fabric at Mary Jo's in Gastonia, NC. Not only does it give the straight grain, but it's a lot faster. I was there on a day when some tour busses were there and I really appreciated it being faster!
Old 04-13-2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
I prefer my fabric cut that way. I remember when they had that little machine that they ran the fabric through to measure it. Then they pushed a button to make the small cut. The biggest problem with fabric is that it is often wound on the bolts while still slightly damp and gets stretched and distorted. The only way to tell if that is the case is to tear it.
I had forgotten about that machine, it always intrigued me as a child. I still tear cloth to get a straight edge but don't try it if you plan on using bed sheets. They are not cut on the grain, they are cut on a pile of cloth with a band saw.

Carol J.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:40 AM

Speakng of snip and rip, we would take our old clothes and rip them into strips, snip a hole in each end to tie them together, then crochet a rug out of them. Haven't done it in years!!
Old 04-13-2011, 04:52 AM

I remember in Jr high the teacher ripping the fabric for my apron project....only it didn't rip where it should have, so the ended up with an iron on patch. : (