Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread/FMQ troubles >

Thread/FMQ troubles

Thread/FMQ troubles

Old 04-28-2011, 04:46 AM

Looks like you have a Janome. I've had the same problem. One of the issues can be with the FMQ foot you're using. You got one (clear plastic) with the machine, and then you probably purchased the metal circle one shown in the picture. Switch to the clear plastic foot and see if the problem persists.

When you use the metal circle foot you have to adjust the height (sorry, I can't tell you whether to go up or down, so you'd have to experiment).

There might be a burr someplace. Try a new bobbin also (the actual bobbin might have gotten damaged).

I've been in the same situation as you...changed needle (topstitching works best), cleaned and oiled machine, changed bobbin case (red dot vs blue dot), changed needle plate (to single hole), and so on. And it happens when I'm about 75% of the way through a project so I don't want to change to a different thread. Arrrrrrgh!

SOMETIMES it can be due to a timing problem, but I think a dealer/repair shop has to fix that.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:22 AM

It sounds like you solved your problem. I have had the same problem this week and even have asked this board for help. My problem was with the material I was quilting on. NOt 100% cotten. It does make a difference when FMQ. Just wanted to throw that in maybe it will help someone else.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:27 AM

Is your needle the right size for the thread? A too small needle can shred the thread.

K
Old 04-28-2011, 07:13 AM

Same problem yesterday. Finally noticed a burr on edge of thread spool. Smoothed it with an emery board and no more problem. I find it is best to rethread from the start after changing tension. I want to love my Pfaff QE4 but she is so tempermental and my hair is getting grayer since I bought her!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:15 AM

I would use one size up needle so the tread would pass through easier.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:27 AM

I had the same problem when I used basting spray instead of pins
Old 04-28-2011, 07:28 AM

I had the same problem when I used basting spray. Could that be the problem?
Old 04-28-2011, 07:32 AM

Sometimes the thread is getting hung up somewhere...extra loop around the spindle pin or the thread "arm" that goes up and down or an extra wrap around the last wire loop before the needle or it comes out of the last loop.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:42 AM

Something similar was happening to my Singer CG550, so I brought it into the repair shop and what appears to be the problem is the timing is off. So while the machine is having the timing set, they are doing a cleaning as well as a servicing. Food for thought, I am no sewing machine repair person.

TreeFrog
Old 04-28-2011, 08:56 AM

I make sure I have the same weight in top and bottom - also rethread from start to finish including a different bobbin. Sometimes these mechanical marvels can stress a person to the limit. I was having some major problems with my Bernina 180 and finally took it in. The timing was off and I'd not sewed very much since a servicing. Go figure!! So as a last resort take it in to be serviced. Hope you have bood luck with all the tips.