Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm discouraged :( >

I'm discouraged :(

I'm discouraged :(

Old 05-22-2011, 05:54 AM

Of course, all the adjustments to the machine are essential, but when I took a class on FMQ, the best advice I got was to remember to... BREATHE.LOL
Debbie Stair
Old 05-22-2011, 05:57 AM

Try to remember,,,,,,,speed up on machine, and movementof fabric s-l-o-w very very s-l-o-w also I use the rubber finger tips,that I purchased from office depot cheaper than from the quilt shop or gloves with rubber dots on the palms..........calla
Old 05-22-2011, 06:00 AM

I don't have one and don't know anyone who used one but I've seen it advertised a lot - that "Supreme Slider". Hope you get some really good suggestions, as usual, on this board.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:25 AM

Does your machine have a Start/Stop button on it? I read a tip somewhere (may have even been on this board) to just use the S/S button when FMQ and not the foot pedal. Since then I have been doing much better with it! It seems that I could just not get my hands and feet moving together well enough to avoid all the tension issues. Now I just have to worry about the hands. By the way, I don't use top-quality quilting fabric for my practice pieces... just whatever cotton I have in my stash. I don't think it matters much what you are using.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:29 AM

I am not sure if your Janome has a variable speed slide bar, but I find it really helpful to set mine at a slower speed (usually about half speed). That way you can press your foot pedal all the way to the floor and it will stay at the slower speed. It's helped my FMQ immensely not having to worry about moving my hands and controlling my machine speed at the same time.

LeAnne
Old 05-22-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by vivientan
I've been trying out FMQ for the past year but I don't seem to be improving. First thing first, I never get the thread tension right. I either get loops at the front or the back. I'm using a Janome 6260 and I've tried every single tension from 0 - 9 but nothing works. Even tried varying the machine speed, foot pedal tension etc but still at a dead end.

I find it rather hard to move my quilt sandwich under the machine. Sometimes it gets stucked, causing a huge ball of thread forming underneath! What has gone wrong?

The worst is, I can never get even stitches. They are either too short or too long. Can't seem to be able to move my quilt at an even speed. Even tried drawing out my design from a quilt stencil but somehow, I just can't follow the design! Jagged curves, uneven lines etc.

I don't think I can ever succeed with FMQ, despite trying on lots and lots of practice sandwiches. Maybe I should really just call it a day and stick to my walking foot. :(

Sorry for all these ranting...I need to let off steam!
I have a Janome DC 3050, just a little workhorse for everyday use and the very first thing I do is drop the feed dog. You didn't mention doing that. Then I put a new needle in using the needle recommended for the thread I'm using. For my needs it is usually a 12 or 14. For 30 weight thread and thicker I go larger on the needle, like a 16, or jeans needle. I leave the tension on Auto. Rarely do I have to change the tension.

I also use the darning foot as it lets me move the fabric and also to see where I'm going. I set the stitch length at 0. Straight stitch, 0 length. The stitch length of FM is determined by me and how fast I move the quilt. I start with a quilt sandwich to see if everything is ok. I can set my speed on the machine so I set it to as fast as I can manage (this takes some practice to determine) and push the pedal all the way down. I move the quilt sandwich slowly as this makes the smallest stitches.....fast pedal movement, slow movement under the needle. Stitching in place for two or three seconds secures the thread then slowly start moving the fabric.

This requires concentration at first and I recommend that you concentrate on relaxing the shoulders and arms. Use gloves or a good hand lotion (to make your hands slightly tacky) to hold on to the fabric. When you need to stop and change hand positions, stop the machine. Then move your hands. FM is so much fun I hope you don't give up.

Someone here recommended to make quilt sandwiches to practice on. That's what I did and I am now able to quilt a few things with FM although I have a long way to go.

Also, you can watch YouTube videos to help you see what to do. Good luck and please don't give up.

I forgot to add that I did buy the extension table for my Janome ($99.00) and it is an essential.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:32 AM

Hi Vivien.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I agree with the person who said to go through your operator's manual; make sure you are doing everything correctly. All my machines (four of them) require that the bobbin be turning clockwise when you pull the thread, so it's not interchangeable as to how the bobbin is inserted in the case. I'm kind of thinking your machine needs service for the tension, but it's hard to tell without seeing it. Also, try using a high quality thread like So Fine, from superiorthreads.com, in the top and bobbin. Invisible thread can be difficult to use in some cases.

Another great resource, besides Leah Day's site, is thequiltshow.com. This is Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims' site and it has tons of info and fun for quilters of all skill levels. You'll have to register (I'm not sure if you'll have to pay or can use the free registration). Then go to the "Classrooms" tab at the top and watch:

Free Motion Quilting
By Patsy Thompson
A Super Series on the basics of Free Motion Quilting

Good luck! Vicki
Old 05-22-2011, 06:53 AM

A couple of things to check on - did you drop the feed dogs? For some that doesn't make a difference, for others is does. Be sure and use the correct foot - a free motion or darning foot. Make small quilt sandwiches and practice. A single hole plate would be a help also.
Find or draw designs on paper or a white board to practice before trying to do it with your machine.
Don't give up! Keep trying, but when you practice, try something different. If you keep trying, but dont' try to change anything, it won't get any better.
I have taught free motion quilting at our guild and many people who thought they couldn't do it, are now on their way to feeling better about it.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:06 AM

Have you tried using a quilting needle? I had a similar problem, changed to a size 14 quilting needle and the problem disappeared. Also, you don't say if you use quilting gloves. These make such a big difference in moving the quilt under the needle. My machine is a Janome and I use their special bobbin case for FMQ.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:12 AM

I'm sorry you are so frustrated :cry: I can't do it either...that's why I bought a longarm. Have you checked out Leah Day's blog? She is awesome on a DSM http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/