Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WaMart >

WaMart

WaMart

Old 05-26-2011, 05:47 AM

HMM maybe we need to write wal mart and let them know how many people want it back
Old 05-26-2011, 05:51 AM

I questioned the Walmart in my area and they said they had no knowledge of fabric being brought back
Old 05-26-2011, 06:34 AM

The reason that they got rid of fabric in most stores was because it was not cost effective in that the dollars taken in versus the area space plus the hourly wage of employees didn't cut it. Where their logic was wrong is the fact that those workers in that dept also had to work the craft and party goods aisle, those all being in the same general dept. In my store, and many, these depts were placed at opposite ends of the store, more or less, and when working in crafts, most certainly could not hear the pathetic dingy bell clear over in fabric. What they can't understand is, if someone is there at all times to cut fabric for customers, the dollars coming in would be worth the man hours in wages. Many times you will see people leave the bolts on the cutting table and leave, they have other things to do rather than standing there ringing a little bell. Why they can't understand this is just beyond my comprehension.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:53 AM

I commented to a little gal in the Dallas, OR, Wal-Mart that it looks like they are keeping it and she said as long as the "business" is there to support it. They have added some pretty nice bolts back in and there is a bin of $5 which is the 2 yds left on the end of a bolt - and they did tell me they would cut an order as small as 1/8 yd! Anyway, looks like we are okay now. Their thread selection is -okay- I wish they had more. I went back to buying cones online. I also started noticing some of the online fabrics and may give that a try.

Marysewfun
Old 05-26-2011, 06:54 AM

Ours has a wall with the precuts but nothing els. This is the biggest mistake that store ever made
Old 05-26-2011, 07:02 AM

I am still waiting for Wally to put the fabric dept back in the one Wally. The other Wally has a small fabric dept compared to what it used to be with all the bolts of fabric, they used to have embroidery thread etc..
But then I am still waiting for Jo-Ann's to re-open like I was told it would !LOL I guess till then I will shop Hobby Lobby, and the LQS !!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:40 AM

Walmart in Bullhead City has misc fabric packages and some small kits; purses, etc. The store in Kingman has a fabric department, but you can tell they want to get rid of it as the aisles are getting shorter and they want to cut down on the help that this dept calls for to cut out fabric. The quality has gone down hill too.
In the midwest and south, there seems to be more pull to keep fabric in these stores.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The Walmart in my town that did away with the fabric dept. is planning to put the fabric back after a remodel. Maybe the stores are waiting for their turn to be remodeled. It won't be a whole store remodel just rearranging of space to make room for the fabric dept again. Dumb Walmart.
I checked with the store manager where I am yesterday. There will be what they are calling a remodel, but which really will be rearranging the store to undo some of the "damage" done by the more extensive remodel last year. The fabric department was supposed to be ready by the end of May but has been postponed until the end of June. The manager here said fabric will be available the last week in June and will be up and running full blast by the first week in July. He said the fabric will be by the bolt and there will be a cutting table and clerks. He also said there will probably not be as great a selection as there was before, but I know that if the customers show up and the department is profitable, the store will add stock. That's the way supply and demand works. I am hoping the quality of the fabric in the store is as good or better than the fabric I ordered online from WalMart.com. If not...

It is probable that all stores are on different schedules. To get accurate information, call your store and talk to your manager.

froggyintexas
Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 AM

In SoCal, they took out the fabric depts in my area, one completely, and shrank the other one, plus the prices went up and the quality went down. They still have a cutter, but they have to come from several aisles over. I usually just go to Jo-Anne's now. I hope they are actually listening to us, though!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Fran Juern
I questioned the Walmart in my area and they said they had no knowledge of fabric being brought back
Did you talk to the manager? The news has been in trade publications and can be Googled. froggyintexas