Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WaMart >

WaMart

WaMart

Old 05-26-2011, 08:13 AM

The quilters of San Antonio, TX collectively petitioned their mayor to speak to WalMart on their behalf to not discontinue their fabric and notions line. WalMart agreed and that's why the stores there never interrupted selling them.

Now that JoAnn's has been sold -- and their quality and selection has declined, and their prices have gone up, and many of their long-time employees have been replaced by part-time non-sewers -- WalMart's replacing their fabric and sewing departments in many of their stores.

In the meantime, though, I'm shopping at Hobby Lobby.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
Our walmart was scheduled to lose their fabric dept too, but decided it wasn't in their best interest. Decision based on sales $$$ from Dept. Am sure the decision for other stores will be the same....whether or not they think they will make money by keeping or bringing back fabric by the yard. Every decision they make is a take on previous fabric sales, so if your Walmart had a fabric dept. that didn't have good sales don't count on getting it back.
If the Wal Mart stores would put the fabric departments back and have someone assigned to that department there would be no problem with $$$$. How many times does a person have to ring a bell to get fabric cut and wait and wait and wait, just to have a clerk walk by and say "I don't work in this department." Let me count the times.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:24 AM

I did hear from a reliable source that the Walmart in our area is going to start remodeling the area for the return of the fabric dept. by the end of June/early July
Old 05-26-2011, 08:24 AM

I live in Reno Neavda and they have put material in a couple of stores that had material but it is all precut in to one or two yards and pre wraped for sale. I didn't check the price.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:29 AM

Not just the fabrics department! That's everywhere at WalMart!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:40 AM

thankfully the one in newport, ar still has fabric and getting in a good selection. good prices/good fabric
Old 05-26-2011, 08:46 AM

Walmart's problem is like so many stores. Their corporations are usually run by men and the stores are managed by men. The grocery corporations finally got smart and started putting women in charge of design etc. I don't care how much schooling they have. Men simply don't understand enuf about women and the way we think and shop. Wonder how much they lost with all this shifting and remodeling.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:51 AM

I think I have mentioned this before, but our towns Wal Mart just did a re-decorate and put the fabric dept. back bigger and better than it was. Rumour was that they were going to be removing the dept but when they started the re-fit the moved the dept. to the middle of the store and it is put together so much better than it was before. Selection is improving every shipment. The only things bad is now the cutting table is this tiny little thing compared to the one they had and it is still sometimes difficult to find an associate to cut fabric without waiting for 5-10 mins. Oh and they no longer carry embroidery floss or embroidery items.
I would suggest you sit down and contact Wal Marts corperate offices via email and let them know that you are very interestd in a fabric dept at you local store and were wondering if they were going to be putting one back in. Wal Mart is the one big box store where I have had good luck getting return communication from when there is and issue. I think they might actually care about improving thier reputation.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:11 AM

You Las Vegans come up and see us in Pahrump ! Nice fabric dept here, Sara
Old 05-26-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by valsma
I think I have mentioned this before, but our towns Wal Mart just did a re-decorate and put the fabric dept. back bigger and better than it was. Rumour was that they were going to be removing the dept but when they started the re-fit the moved the dept. to the middle of the store and it is put together so much better than it was before. Selection is improving every shipment. The only things bad is now the cutting table is this tiny little thing compared to the one they had and it is still sometimes difficult to find an associate to cut fabric without waiting for 5-10 mins. Oh and they no longer carry embroidery floss or embroidery items.
I would suggest you sit down and contact Wal Marts corperate offices via email and let them know that you are very interestd in a fabric dept at you local store and were wondering if they were going to be putting one back in. Wal Mart is the one big box store where I have had good luck getting return communication from when there is and issue. I think they might actually care about improving thier reputation.
The attitude was "If we don't have it, you don't need it," changed when WalMart began losing market share. Consumers have lots of power. Write corporate and call the local manager. froggyintexas