Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WaMart >

WaMart

WaMart

Old 05-29-2011, 05:57 AM

haha, this just goes to show you, how easy it is to forget about going to Wal Mart. I was going to go there this morning for groceries, but after looking at the list, there is nothing I need except groceries, so I am heading to Safeway instead. Its right around the corner, so it will save some gas. However, if there had been fabric and notions at WalMart I would have gone there to save me the trip out to JoAnn's later.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P
Walmart has made a science out of studying what sells where. If something takes up too much floor space in proportion to the profit margin, they move it out in favor of stuff that does better. Another factor is that yard goods require the presence of an employee, unlike a lot of other items.

When I was young (ancient history) Sears, Wards and Penneys also sold fabric, and you could order it from their catalogs. There were also more local fabric stores, and they were thriving. Almost every woman could sew, and many did at least a little. Times have changed.
When Walmart in Oshkosh, Wi went out of fabric; that is exactly what I was told. More money in electronics.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:42 AM

Good for them! Now I will buy my groceries , etc. at other stores so I won't be taking up their time.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:42 AM

Good for them! Now I will buy my groceries , etc. at other stores so I won't be taking up their time.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:01 PM

one of ours already has there fabric back thanks god
Old 06-12-2011, 06:27 PM

our walmart did not lose the fabric dept. when they a remodel but they cut it down. It was a great dept before that. oh well. it was supposed to give more room for electronics but the only diff i see is they just spread the thing out more. djw
Old 06-19-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by msquilter59
The stores around me still haven't put the departments back yet. A couple sell the pre-cut fabrics but not really a lot of choice. There's a store about 1 1/2 hours north that decided not to close their department. Yippee! Holefully the others will follow.
lordy we need the fabric at west memphis ar. badly TWO. :thumbup:
Old 06-19-2011, 05:30 PM

When our WalMart was remodeled, the fabric dept. went away. They moved the entire craft section of the store and had a big opening for scrapbooking, parties, and cakes. Then they took that away and put back the aisles. We have fabrics, but I won't buy them since I can't look at it with my hands. I don't want to buy precuts.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:30 PM

what they need in walmart is someone that knows fabric and what people want in fabric and put them in charge of all the fabric depts djw
Old 06-20-2011, 01:00 PM

I kinda have an odd thinking to all this Wal Mart stuff...its my outlook on it.

Supposedly they took away the fabric dept to add more electronics like, cell phones, big TV's etc. Now in my opinion those are one purchase items. Its not likely I will visit that dept again to purchase another TV or cellphone etc.

However, with the fabric dept, you have ladies that may come in to just grab a spool of thread, or zipper, and then they start to look around, and before you know it, they have found some awesome fabric they cannot live without. It is likely that I will return again and again, because I will need thread, zippers, interfacing etc.

I think Wal Mart needs to really examine what makes them money over the long haul. Not what makes them money a couple of times a year (like Christmas, etc). They honestly need someone in the higher ranks that thinks like a woman. Just my 2cents worth : )