Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Maybe I have to quit calling myself a beginner.... >

Maybe I have to quit calling myself a beginner....

Maybe I have to quit calling myself a beginner....

Old 06-20-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by buttons
Well I have not counted all the quilts that I have made, Christmas tree skirts amd other smaller wall hanging that I have made and finally I made a Nickle quilt ( D9P) last year for myself. Have to put border on it yet. Am working on a Stack & Whack top that I will keep also. You just get hooked on it and you start to sew and before you know it has been 3-4 hrs of sewing. It is just so much fun
Old 06-20-2011, 08:00 PM

I was really surprised when I counted mine up. I would not have thought of counting, but my sister has been sewing for 12 years and has often said she wished she knew how many quilts she has made. She actually wishes she had a picture of each quilt she has made.

I had her comment in the back of my mind when I counted mine. I guess an addiction really is an addiction, and it all adds up. What a lovely addiction to have though....
Old 06-21-2011, 03:09 AM

When do we stop calling ourselves beginners? number of quilts or length of time quilting?
Old 06-21-2011, 03:11 AM

I'm a newbie too. Starting quilting about 3 years ago. This is how dense I was. I didn't know you had to have thread in the bobbin and on top. Thankfully a friend came over and explained this necessary feature to me. As a child I would throw hissy fits every time Mama pulled me kicking and screaming into a fabric store, proclaiming"it made my eyes burn". I now have a room full of fabric, sew every chance I get and I can almost see Mama and Mamaw peering over the balcony of heaven and laughing their heads off.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:07 AM

Agree with you all, we are nothing but quilters--what housework?
Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 AM

I know what you mean about addictive!!! I find myself at the machine or cutting table many times when I really should be doing housework, paying bills, yard work, etc. And next thing I know it is REALLY time to go to bed so I can get up at 3:15 am to get ready for my day job which is 115 miles away. But it pays for the addiction.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:58 AM

I have quilted for about 7 years. Would like to think that I have progressed beyond the "newbie" stage but with all the new techniques out there and things I haven't tried - I still feel like a "newbie".
Old 06-21-2011, 07:10 AM

I'm beginning the "confident beginner" stage I think. I can't count all the quilts I've made because I don't have pictures of all of them, and most were given away. But I have the confidence to start making my own patterns with the blocks, and I have the confidence in my sewing and techniques that I can do something new. But in the end we are all beginners at the start of a new technique for us, and are old pro's with another technique that we've done thousands of times.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:05 AM

going to try this again
hello BarbaraSue. I am getting ready to go to Peoria this Thursday for 4 days. It is the Lutheran Women's Missionary League National Convention. It is at the Peoria Civic Center .
Probably will be around 6000 or more people there. Most is women. We are staying at Best Western--Ashland House.
So I had be better not even think about working on any quilt projects this week.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:34 AM

I'm in the same boat. You didn't come across as bragging, just surprised at all you have made! Quilting keeps me sane! Just slows me down and lets me enjoy, the rest of life seems to be rush rush rush