Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Retail quilts >
  • Retail quilts

• Retail quilts

Old 07-05-2011, 01:34 PM

I have a couple but find that even though they look like good quality, after a bit of use, tend to literally come apart at the seams. The seam allowance is sparse at best. Use them now to keep in car for emergencies.
    Old 07-05-2011, 02:12 PM

I have been using a double wedding ring quilt from Pamida that we bought at least 12 years ago. It gets washed quite often and still looks like the real thing. Guess I was lucky!!
    Old 07-05-2011, 02:22 PM

I bought one from QVC a few years ago. It did hold up well but I know it was made with cheap labor and the fabric costs a fraction what we pay here. The workmanship was OK and it has stood up to washing well. It isn't the same as a quilt with fabrics specially chosen, made by hand and sewn with love.
    Old 07-05-2011, 02:25 PM

The quality is not nearly as good as a real hand made one, but the price is so much cheaper! I think they are great for spare bed rooms or picnics :) or for children/teens that get tired of their bedding quickly
    Old 07-05-2011, 02:55 PM

I bought a mass produced quilt about 15 years ago. It is still good and gets daily use.(my DD uses it all winter) You can tell the difference although not immediately as at first glance it looks just like the ones I make. It isn't the same though as look more closely and the pattern is printed on and the outline sewn around to make it look quilted. Although usable I should say that it has faded considerably so now looks kind of dull as well.

Maybe1day
    Old 07-05-2011, 03:14 PM

I don't think you were lucky. I just think that, just like with every other consumer product, there are good and bad quality commerically made quilts available. I'm glad you have a good one!

Originally Posted by kdid82
    I have been using a double wedding ring quilt from Pamida that we bought at least 12 years ago. It gets washed quite often and still looks like the real thing. Guess I was lucky!!
    Old 07-05-2011, 03:25 PM
    Banned

I purhased a wonderfully well-made whole-cloth quilt at a store in New Mexico that sells only high-quality imported quilts. I've washed and dried it a number of times and it's good as new. It cost $160 for a super-sized king, and is obviously machine quilted. It was made in India. They must have a big sophisticated machine-made quilt industry, much more sophisticated and high-quality than before.

My feeling about the labor practices involved in the making of these quilts is that for many people in third-world countries, doing this sort of job is an actual job, and probably provides income that supports more than the worker him/herself. It's one of those problems that have two sides--employment versus none, and concern for working conditions in another country versus having no way to impact it at all. I don't have any answer to these questions.
    Old 07-05-2011, 03:52 PM

I, too, have noticed some really pretty & cheap store quilts. I was really surprised at some very pretty quilts at Cracker Barrell...of all places. And the price was really good. I'm pretty sure that they're made in China and maybe they are not quality, but they sure look good.
    Old 07-05-2011, 04:31 PM

this is like anything else that crafts people make. wood turners make beautiful hand turned bowls that are unique and expensive and they should be. but you can still buy wood ones that are nice that are cheap. it depends what you plan to do with it, what you want to spend.

same with knitters, weavers, men who tie flies, leather workers, furniture makers, etc. it depends on whether hand made with love means something ALL THE TIME. for dragging around and cat sitting , not for me.

don't use my quilt, that cost several hundred dollars to make and who knows how many hours, to change your baby's poopy diaper on, please. use the pretty, mass produced copy.
    Old 07-05-2011, 04:34 PM

First time in the washer and its a rag.