Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Where do you stay on vacation? >

Where do you stay on vacation?

Where do you stay on vacation?

Old 09-28-2011, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Willa
My brother has a time share in the Hilton hotels. He can stay at any Hilton anywhere in the world. It also sounded like he could "bank" some time so if he wants to go overseas and stay there for a few weeks in a couple years he could save his time and use it then. His time share also allows him to give some time, if he wants to, to anyone he desires. Also, if he wants to stay longer than the time he bought, he can stay at a greatly reduced rate.

Sorry I sound like an advertisement.
We like to stay in timeshares too.... once we wave off their invitation to their high pressure sales pitch meeting. However, we don't own one, but we went from owners. We've talked about buying one but can't really see the benefit since renting is so easy these days.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:17 AM

DH and found a great bed and breakfast on tripadvisor.com

It worked for us, it could work for others as well.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow
Home! LOL
Me too!!
Old 09-28-2011, 03:53 AM

DH travels alot for work. So he banks points for hotel stays with Marriot. We also have a marriot visa card. Every dollar we spend we get points. I pay my house bills,gas,food and other with this card. So we have thousands and thousands of points. It really works for us. So we use this for a family vacation every year. I have used it this year for myself too and went to Knoxville Tennessee Quilt Show. You just have to worry about transportation and food.

I mentioned DH traveling....He flies with Southwest alot. He's a rewards member and also banks points. Earned him 2 free round trips tickets I'm using one of them this week. He's working in Seattle so I'm tagging along. Costing me nothing and seeing a part of the world I'd never been to. PRICELESS! :wink:
Old 09-28-2011, 04:08 AM

Nancy, Just live in Livonia, not too much happeninng there.
I think the next AQS is going to be in Grand Rapids. You could rent your place for the week and weekend and meet quilters as well. It would be a fun fun weekend, like Paducah.
We stayed in a home off the beaten path when we went to paducah.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
Originally Posted by quilter_kjm
have an idea......................... we could swap homes for two weeks. you can vacation in Michigan and we will vacation in N. Carolina...... How does that sound. We could really save some money.
we are actually going to our time share in the Bahama's(free port) in October. But I would love to visit north carolina.

reminds me of a permanent house swap here in michigan. one family lost their job and they swapped with someone whose house was pd. off and it was a win win situation. the one that had a job moved into a bigger newer home and the one that didnt have a job got a nice 900 sq. ft. home that was pd. off.
Hmmm... where in Michigan???? I lived in Grand Rapids (job related and not a permanent move - commuted every week via Delta and the hotel clerk knew me by name :-) ) DH joined me over Labor Day that year and we drove Harbor Springs, stayed in a really nice B&B and took a day trip to Mackinaw Island. We loved it and want to go back someday.
Love Makinaw! we used to sail in the port huron mak. race. I live in Livonia, not too exciting. AQS in Grand Rapids 2012.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:26 AM

I prefer a condo. Like to cook in a lot and like having a full size fridge so food and drinks are always available. I can't take eating out more then a few times a week.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:27 AM

Hotels
Old 09-28-2011, 04:44 AM

Now that we are empty nesters, we can travel again! We take at least two vacations every year. We go to Orlando every January to break up the Minnesota winter and we go someplace every fall that we might consider retiring too. We just got back from Tennessee and it's on the top of our list. We are going to Texas in November and I think we are going to Colorado in the fall next year.

My DH bought a timeshare on Ebay for a rediculous low price. So now we own the timeshare outright and just pay the maintenance fee ($350 annually). Our timeshare is in Orlando, super nice. We also joined RCI and take advantage of their last call prices ($300 - $400 for a week).

I am now spoiled. I love a two-bedroom condo with kitchen, washer and dryer, and other amentities. We can pack lighter and save on luggage fees. The condos have always been great. We have been super happy about being timeshare owners.

The downside of being a timeshare owner/staying at a timeshare resort is that you are always solicitated to attend their "owner's" meeting so that they can try to sell you a timeshare or sell you more time. They are never happy. We usually attend if they offer some free green fees to a course we want to play. DH is great at saying No and the sales pitches are pretty intense. We would never ever buy a timeshare/more time retail...too expensive.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:48 AM

My son has a condo in Destin...right on the beach..sleeps 8. Rental is reasonable. contact me and I will get you in touch with him. Rates vary by the season...