Useless Trip!

Old 09-30-2011, 02:59 AM

It is like playing the lottery. You can get some so-so buys, but that one big one is just out of reach. Mine was a few years ago at an auction. Came away from there with my Corolla filled to the top in the trunk and the back seat. I was wondering if I was going to have to leave DH there and come back for him later. I literally had to empty the boxes into the car. Got all that for $35.00. Got that back when I found a family member who could not attend, who wanted the old qult blocks. She went onto say this one was made by her aunt and that one by her grandma.. She was going to mmount them with there picures.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:39 AM

That's the way it is. When people put books on hold at the library (to read best sellers or popular books) I tell them, "You have to be patient to be cheap." Keep trying, one day you'll hit it BIG. "It takes kissing a lot of frogs to find a prince." Don't know what's with the quotes today. I promise to quit.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:44 AM

I like to check Tuesday Mornings - they sometimes have lot of sewing items.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:58 AM

We, all the girls in the family, love to thrift shop...and I have to agree with some many of you. It seems to be a thing of just keep going, eventually you will find the good deals. My oldest daughter has been dubbed the "queen of thrift" as she goes all the time and comes home with these incredible deals!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:00 AM

last week my husband and I held a garage sale. I had five tables of fabric I wanted to get rid of. hardly sold any. Sold a lot of big stuff including three sewing machines but we had to repack all that fabric and will try again in the spring
Old 09-30-2011, 04:29 AM

We have a lot of qulters in my area so if there have been things there, they went fast. I haven't found any good quilting deals yet either. I have found some new t-shirts for summer from time to time. I will continueto look- you never know.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:32 AM

Don't feel badly. Living in a border town, there is never ANYTHING at our Goodwills or thrift shops. Most of it looks like it has already made a trip to the local dump before coming to the store. I rarely go anymore, it is always such a disappointment.
Michelle
Old 09-30-2011, 06:05 AM

It is indeed a matter of timing. I too once hit a garage/yard sale where the lady was giving up quilting...my oh my; I bought 4 HUGE boxes of cotton fabric, yardage, fat quarters, scraps and oh-la-la. Got all of it for $20..unbelievable! So keep looking and check regularly as it is like a numbers game... sooner or later, your number is up and you get lucky.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:16 AM

Timing may be everything including good deals, but. . .when one spends too much time and gas driving around to find a deal, how much do you really save? I only stop at thrift stores or garage sales if they are on my route. Otherwise the gas and time are expensive. And I also have very little luck finding bargains worthy of the label.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:54 AM

I have learned to ask at garage sales..I told the lady I was searching for quilting fabric..she said wait a sec, my mom was a quilter and I have some of her stuff inside. I got several Mountain Mist linings, tons of fabric, notions, etc all for $10. That was a couple of years ago..sometimes they have things they didn't bother to put out for sale. I also run to church sales but you have to get there early for fabric...lots of quilters around here!