$35.00 for a haircut?!?!!?

Old 10-20-2011, 10:52 AM

Every now and then I go get my hair cut specially when I want it chopped to my shoulders or shorter otherwise I do it my self. I was using box color until my mom introduced me to Sally's much cheaper I have the developer and all I have to do is go in and buy a little tube of color for a couple of bucks.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:56 AM

Two Beauty Colleges within a few miles from home. They are greatly supervised too. $7 for a hair cut . . . $11 if you want it styled. A *weave* or *highlights* depending on your length. I can leave the school for about $35 to $45. Been going for over 20 years. Never a goof. Of course, the gals/guys get a much needed big tip from me. :) :)
Old 10-20-2011, 11:01 AM

I have no problem paying $35 for a hair cut. My hair is in a stylish bob; "stacked" in the back. I get compliments on my hair daily and everyone says I do not look my age. To me that is definitely worth the money!! I do color my own hair and have done that since I was in my 20's.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:08 AM

I pay around $25 including tip. It is only a trim for me. don't always wash it.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:17 AM

My DD is a stylist & she charges $20.00 to cut & $35.00 cut & styled. You have to remember they have to pay booth rental. Buy quality products & have to pay for state required continuing education courses yearly. I know it seems like a lot. Your stylist rental may be real high too. She pays that whether she works or not.I guess we are pretty cheap here compared to big cities. You might find a cheaper place at Walmart & JC Penny's salons are always having service sale. Oh & there is Pro cuts.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by baglady65
Well I get a hair cut every 2 weeks and a color every 4 weeks.....for FREE!! DD owns her own salon so I rate to get mine free!!
Mine too but she is so busy, mom has to be worked in somewhere.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:24 AM

About 10 years ago I started going to where my husband goes. Not very fancy in the inside, you can tell the cabinets are from the 70's. But I watched those girls, they spent a long time on each person.
Cindy told me, "It's because we were taught to CUT hair." They are BARBERS!

I was just there yesterday, $16 Nothing fancy, I went in for what a barber does best - a haircut

I still can't believe how meticulous they are.

No appt. They had the cutest little boy ahead of me, and I got the impression he's been coming since he was 2 or so, he was there with his Daddy. He was about 4. Then he got to play in the toy room while they finished up with Daddy.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:37 AM

About 20 years ago my son bought me a Flowbee hair cutting system. I have used it for my self and some times for my pups. My son cuts his own hair also. My hair is always cut the same all over and perfect. It is cut better than a person with shears or razor. You are able to cut it in layers if you prefer. When I went to a shop years ago and told them I cut my own hair, they would look dazed, then when they went to roll it they could not believe I cut it because it was cut even and tapered correctly.

http://www.flowbee.com/
Old 10-20-2011, 12:06 PM

My daughter is a stylist she ask 30.00 for a cut She is so book I can't get in to see her.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra Henderson
Originally Posted by Terryl
As a salon owner I want to put my 2 cents worth in here. I charge $41 for a haircut and blow dry, best price in the neighborhood I'm in. Not only is there rent/mortgage to be paid, but also city/county/stare taxes, insurance, electric, water, supplies, phone, licenses for the salon, licenses for stylists, water/coffee for clients, business cards, magazines, cleaning supplies, the list goes on and on, so I do not think the prices are outrageous, we make less than minimum wage standing on our feet all day, it's very hard work and very few stylists get rich, it's a job you have to love to stick with it.

Yes, I understand this. I grew up in small business and owned my own for 15 years. I don't know any other way. However, I don't get all the advertisements I see salons doing in the papers, billboards, etc, etc, etc... Why do they have to advertise so heavily, which is VERY expensive, if they have a big client base and do a great job? Doesn't add up to me. Here, it is very trendy and the salons compete heavily. I quit advertising after the first year, except for a small inexpensive yellowpage listing. My advertisement was word of mouth. It kept my prices down. I just think in this economy that things are going to have to change.
I do not advertise other than at the marina 2 blocks from my salon, for a minimal charge I am the only salon on their bulletin board and with all the people on boats doing the "LOOP" it makes good business sense to advertise there, most of my client base is word of mouth as well, I've owned this salon for 6 years and have only had one price increas of $2.00 per hair cut, not too bad considering all the price increases I've endured myself. I try to make myself affordable but at the same time I need to support myself.