$35.00 for a haircut?!?!!?

Old 10-20-2011, 06:26 PM

I pay $17 for mine, with a $3 tip. I think that's enough, but I live in a small rural area.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra Henderson
I am out of touch!~I went to get my hair cut today at a local salon and it is $35.00!!!~ No color. My hair is not long. Just a regular haircut. What in the world?!?! This is the normal rate around here. It doesn't take more than 30 minutes.
I made the appointment and then called back and canceled. I will not pay this. I'll cut it myself. I already went to "washing that gray right out of my hair" MYSELF... What about where you live?
I just decided 2 years ago to let my hair grow. It is pretty long now, and I found it is easier to care for. When the ends need trimming my husband gives it a slight trim.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
It's the same here. I also cut and color my own now.
I understand they need to make a living and pay rental fees, maintain their equipment etc, but it does seem a little steep when I'm only in the chair for approx. 1/2 hr @ $35 = $70hr.
I wish I made that much per hour.
it takes no more than 15 minutes to cut my hair---------and it's always clean when I go, so no shampoo. And I can't stand hair spray or styling gels, so I usually leave with wet hair that's only been combed. MY CHOICE
Old 10-20-2011, 07:55 PM

i would be happy to pay but yesterday went to get a cut and dye. the girl was finishing a lady up (no other customers) and then came and said she wouldn't have time. i went ahead and did some shopping but couldn't help notice still no other customers were there when i went by she was sitting for about 2 hours waiting for closing time. i will be going somewhere else now.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:17 PM

I go to a gal who works in a shop part time & in her home salon partime. I started going to her when I just wanted a haircut & none of the shops I called wold just cut. She cuts washes hair & styles for $15.00. I went to another gal in a shop & it cost $40.00. Loved the cut but the cost was too steep. BTW I just love the quilting forum & all the people.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by cr12cats
i would be happy to pay but yesterday went to get a cut and dye. the girl was finishing a lady up (no other customers) and then came and said she wouldn't have time. i went ahead and did some shopping but couldn't help notice still no other customers were there when i went by she was sitting for about 2 hours waiting for closing time. i will be going somewhere else now.
If she's not the owner, tell the owner.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:51 PM

I gave up on salons years ago. That was before I went to cosmetology school. Every time I go to a salon, they look at my marginally wavy hair, and always want to cut layers to "free up the curl". It does not "free up the curl" it just makes it stand up more in the morning. I have very fine very thin hair, that is also what they call 'glassine' (no core, and perfectly smooth). I got so tired of the same debate every time I went in. I now go to a local barber who cuts my hair straight across the bottom, just as I ask. No debate, no argument, and no oops! She is very talented, and until she closes up her shop, she is my hairdresser. The best part is she only charges me $10!
Old 10-20-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
I go to Smart Style in the local Wal-Mart but only because the lady who cuts my hair works there now. It costs about $20 including a $5 tip. However, now that I am about to be out on my own and on a very strict budget, I have decided to let my hair grow. I am sure it will be miserable as I have very thick hair, but you do what you have to in these times.
Ladies who still have your very thick hair I am happy for you. I used to have enough hair for two people with some to spare. In 2008 I had to have numerous medical tests with nuclear dyes within two months and have since lost about half of it. My hair is thin now and I hate it. It has started growing in length again so I go to Smart Style in WalMart and pay $15.50 to have it cut very short. I do add a tip. I used to cut it myself but carpal tunnel doesn't allow for that any longer.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:06 PM

WOmen's is $15.00 I can get highlights, color & a cut for $55.00 with one color high light and $65.00 for 2 color highlights. I guess that is good comapred to what some of you pay for just a cut!

We live outside the DFW area.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:18 PM

Depending on the salon yes. however for us it's great clips for the husband and boys. My daughter has beautiful long hair that needs an occational trim which I do and since I have natural wavey hair that always looks wrong after a cut I do it myself and take of only what I want and not what I want unil the next time I have to ay to go through the agony of growing out someone elses idea of what it should look like. I won't do the boys but it has saved us money on ours. besides I want those pesky hairs out of the way whe I do like after a shower not when I get to a shop on their schedule