$35.00 for a haircut?!?!!?

Old 10-21-2011, 07:37 PM

$45 here for cut and styling--only $25 if you want just a cut and leave with wet unstyled hair.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:03 PM

Yup. In Northern CA it starts at $35 with comb out.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:14 PM

Why is it okay to go the local quilt shop and pay $10 to $12 a yard for fabric, sink about $200 into a quilt and then decide a blue collar worker isn't worth $25 for a haircut? Most people have no idea what our education cost just to become stylists. I live in a small town in Oklahoma and have been doing hair for 15 years. Not just doing hair, but being invested in people's lives. I celebrate my clients' ups and grieve with them in their downs... I make them cancer quilts. I buy gifts for their kids graduations. I make baby blankets for new moms. I count my clients as my friends - not paychecks. In our salon continuing education is a requirement. We attend hairshows and classes on a regular schedule and they are not cheap. Especially when we have to go out of state to get "trendy" education. I own the salon I work in, work with seven other stylists and demand that everyone guarantee their work. No exceptions. You should all know that the products we use continually go up in price, as do the insurance premiums we must carry, as do the delivery charges we pay weekly in order to get the products in our salon. We adore our clients and have not raised our prices in over 5 years due to this economy. Sadly, we have not been treated the same by our suppliers. Every hairstylist I personally know struggles to pay bills just like everyone else, and we most assuredly do not make $75 an hour ( at least in our area). I do charge $25 for a ladies cut which includes a fantastic head scrubbing shampoo, and a great blowdry. I take pride in my work and pamper my client accordingly. Which is why God has blessed me with a full book consistantly. And I am ever thankful for my loyal clients who love me as much as I love them.

No offense to anyone - just wanted to put in my two cents worth.....
Old 10-22-2011, 05:51 PM

You really get what you pay for. With wages, rental, products, equipment, and utilities I'm surprised they don't charge more. I've tried jiffy cuts and similar salons and have had disastrous results. Who ever thought curly /wavy hair was so hard to cut.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kimberli
Why is it okay to go the local quilt shop and pay $10 to $12 a yard for fabric, sink about $200 into a quilt and then decide a blue collar worker isn't worth $25 for a haircut? Most people have no idea what our education cost just to become stylists. I live in a small town in Oklahoma and have been doing hair for 15 years. Not just doing hair, but being invested in people's lives. I celebrate my clients' ups and grieve with them in their downs... I make them cancer quilts. I buy gifts for their kids graduations. I make baby blankets for new moms. I count my clients as my friends - not paychecks. In our salon continuing education is a requirement. We attend hairshows and classes on a regular schedule and they are not cheap. Especially when we have to go out of state to get "trendy" education. I own the salon I work in, work with seven other stylists and demand that everyone guarantee their work. No exceptions. You should all know that the products we use continually go up in price, as do the insurance premiums we must carry, as do the delivery charges we pay weekly in order to get the products in our salon. We adore our clients and have not raised our prices in over 5 years due to this economy. Sadly, we have not been treated the same by our suppliers. Every hairstylist I personally know struggles to pay bills just like everyone else, and we most assuredly do not make $75 an hour ( at least in our area). I do charge $25 for a ladies cut which includes a fantastic head scrubbing shampoo, and a great blowdry. I take pride in my work and pamper my client accordingly. Which is why God has blessed me with a full book consistantly. And I am ever thankful for my loyal clients who love me as much as I love them.

Are you in Central Okla by any slim chance? I am. I found a stylist that did my hair yrs ago and he moved on & we lost touch, He has now opened a Salon less than a mi from my home so I went back to him Great poerson and does a great job. I have terribly thick hair. To foil it and cut and style it (it is short by the way) takes this poor guy over 3 hrs and half of a box of foil. Kid you not. He only charges me $75. I feel for him and do tip plus I buy most of my products from him. I know he must make a little off of them so that is the least I can do. Plus he knows what works best for my type of hair and will not just sell me stuff for the $$ in it. My DD's hair is like mine and she cannot always get into him, so if your in Cen. Okla let me know where please. Good hair dressers and colorists are hard to find sometimes. I know they deserve what they get & usually more monetarily, if they do good work. AND you make perfect sense to me in comparing the cost of fabric to a stylist.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:19 PM

Applause! Be proud of what you do. A wise man once told me two thing. 1. There is no shame in profit. 2. don't be afraid to charge friends and family for your services cause your enemies are not coming in!
Old 10-22-2011, 06:28 PM

I have been going to the same person for many years, the whole family goes to her. We have followed her to a few different locations. I am pretty sure she gives us a price break since my husband and son get theirs cut while I am sitting, but I pay about $40 for cut and color, total of $75 usually for all of us, and that includes eyebrow waxing. Usually we tip around $10 for the lot of us.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by marymc

Applause! Be proud of what you do. A wise man once told me two thing. 1. There is no shame in profit. 2. don't be afraid to charge friends and family for your services cause your enemies are not coming in!
Sometimes friends and relatives are the most reluctant to pay a fair price for goods and/or services. :hunf:
Old 10-22-2011, 08:10 PM

I pay $28.00 for wash cut and style. She charges $15.00 cut and style....
Old 10-23-2011, 12:04 PM

Wooops, this was in response to a question but I didn't hit the repost button I guess....

Hi, I'm in Skiatook which is just north of Tulsa. We have lots of Tulsa people making the 20 minute drive because we are more affordable and we do strive for perfection. You can check us out at www.SkiatookHair.com. Have a great week!