Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sergers...How useful are they? >

Sergers...How useful are they?

Sergers...How useful are they?

Old 07-23-2009, 11:35 AM

I have 4 sergers. I have made a few wall hanging totally on a serger and a couple quilts. I mostly use them for clothes construction and home deco.
I have 3 baby Lock because they have the jet air threading and are wonderful for threading. I have an older Bernette that I got about 20 years ago, I hate threading it, but it does the pretties roll hem that I use on lots of my table runners and napkins.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:17 PM

guess what....sergers put a very exciting look to quilts, I have made a

few, more for wall quilts than those that get lots of use. Loosen the looperthread..lots. use one needle. After serging, take two pieces
you just serged, and care fully pullin opposite directions, just as if you were opening up a seam. I use a dark thread on lighter color fabric, and
the latter of --thread showing will be a mystery to everyone..
Old 07-23-2009, 05:30 PM

I've been using my serger to make dinner napkins from leftover quilt fabric. We're trying to use less paper at my house, so no more paper napkins for dinner. Some of the novelty fabrics lend themselves well to the dinner napkin idea. We have some for Mexican food (red peppers on a black background), cookouts (hot dog and hamburger print). . . I'm also making them for my friends as hostess gifts, birthdays. . . My grandsons got some with Clifford The Big Red Dog. Anyway, sergers are great.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Yes Terri, take it out of the box. Aren't you kind of curious? LOL!
Of course I'm curious! Silly!
Ok, I'll take it out and give it a looksie once I get these projects out the way.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:24 PM

I have a serger but I only use it for other sewing - clothes, etc. - never for quilting.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:49 PM

Boy am I glad this topic came up! I too have a Babylock serger I bought from a girlfriend at her moving sale SIX years ago and have only taken it out of the box once to look at it when I brought it home. To be honest, all these years I have been wondering what in the world was I thinking? What would I ever need a serger for? Then I would start feeling bad because it was just an impulse buy. I don't sew much of anything but quilts now-and hem a few pants. I used to sew all the kids clothes, husbands shirts and all my skirts and blouses. Then they grew up and left the nest and just recently married so we don't have any grandchildren yet to make neat stuff for. You all have given me some great ideas now and I may take it out of the box for real and play awhile. Maybe make some napkins or something. I have to learn to use it first......
Old 07-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

It is the best for hemming pants, it finishes off the edge so all you have to do it fold it up and sew it, no rolled hems or anything any more. It works great even when using the blind hemmer on my machine.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:23 PM

Add pillowcases to your list of things to make with a serger, and sweat pants.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:35 PM

Really interesting topic - I had no idea really what sergers did! Might have to look into getting one someday now!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:04 PM

I'm on my third serger and don't know what I'd do without it. I use it for all types of sewing. I double my binding and sew the edges before I attach it to the quilt. It keeps everything even and adds more body for longer wear.
Yes, I make bathingsuits. I taught Red Cross swimming for 45 years and I too couldn't afford the $80 and $90 suits which I needed cause I had to have a firmer bra support. I ended up making suits and giving classes for ladies with the same problem. I'm now in an aquatics class three times a week and still making my suits. Oh, and I'm 81 years experienced.