Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Futura VS. Brother >

Singer Futura VS. Brother

Singer Futura VS. Brother

Old 09-17-2010, 05:11 PM

Do you know if you can demo them in the shop?

I have a brother, but I purchased a brother, a lower price one, and hated it. I took it back and purchased a higher price brother machine. The first brother machine had several things that I did not like, 1) The way it threaded the needle, 2) jump stitches 3) winding the bobbin with new thread.

So look at the functions between all and compare. If possible sew on them there in the store.

Tcharlie
Old 09-17-2010, 05:32 PM

I am a Brother devotee, too. When I bought my first embroidery machine I went to all the dealers and looked at the samples that were stitched out.I was not impressed with the Singer. Check with the dealers manyof them will do lay a way. Also check their trade ins. The tech has gone through them and made sure everything is working well and you can get more machine for the money. Also with a dealer you get instruction and tech support that you may not on HSN.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by majormom
Originally Posted by stefanib123
I've been talking to hubby about buying a new machine/embroidery machine for Xmas on HSN , where they have the "easy pay" plans. This is the only way I could afford a new machine of any type this year.

So, I've been cruising on there and here's what they have:

A Singer Futura 150- $699
Singer Futura 250- $799
Brother SE400- $499

They also have a Brother for $799 that is an embroidery machine only, but I want one that does both.

I'm leaning towards the Brother right now, because of the price, obviously. BUT, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get the Futura, as it seems like it has MUCH more to it. And it has great reviews.

The monthly payments are about the same, I'd have one extra payment with the Futura.

Is the Futura that much better? I'd love to hear from anyone who has any of these.
I can tell you from experience that the Singer Futura, although it is a great embroidery machine, does not have a very large throat which you will need for quilting. I have the Singer Futura CE250 and love it, but I also have a Singer Confidence on which to quilt. The Singer Confidence doesn't have as large a throat as the Janome, but I make do on it! Don't know anything at all about the Brother.
buy one with the bigger throat, the cutter, & needle down.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:03 PM

I prefer brother, they are very reliable, and if cost is a problem, check into your local sewing machine retailers, a lot of the time they have payment plans for the higher end machines, I got my babylock espire for 12 months no interest payments
Old 09-19-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tcharlie
Do you know if you can demo them in the shop?

I have a brother, but I purchased a brother, a lower price one, and hated it. I took it back and purchased a higher price brother machine. The first brother machine had several things that I did not like, 1) The way it threaded the needle, 2) jump stitches 3) winding the bobbin with new thread.

So look at the functions between all and compare. If possible sew on them there in the store.

Tcharlie
I did the same thing, i bought it at Costco. Hated it and completely quit sewing, till hubby noticed I was not stitching or quilting anymore. He told me to go buy what I wanted, and I bought my first Pfaff. Loved it and now I have had three.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:16 AM

I have a Brother that I bought from HSN with the easy pay and yes it is limited to a 4x4 hoop but for someone to just get started with embroidery it is a very good machine. Mine also has a connector for my computer. It allowes me to download different designs without having buying extra equiptment(spelling) to download from the internet. It took me a little while to learn how to do it but was well worth it. This was my first computerized machine and I let it sit in the box for 3 months cause I was so scared that I would not be able to learn how to work it. Just read the manual then read it again. If I can learn how to run mine anybody can. There is one drawback to this machine, when you do learn it you WILL want one that has a bigger hoop but for the price and the fact that you can download from the internet without spending more money this is the machine. Mine is a Brother HE-240.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:28 AM

Stefani: I have the Singer Futura CE250 and absolutely love it! The best $800 I ever spent! I believe the embroidery field is bigger on the Futura(5X7) Than you get on the cheaper Brother too. The other feature I really like is that it switched easily to a regular sewing machine easily. I take my Futura to my guild meeting every week, since my other machine does not come out of the cabinet. I also use the 100 different decorative stitches quite often. There is a Yahoo group dedicated to teaching and avising you on the machine. Check out wwwsingertexas.com Tina has both the Singer and Brother machines and can help you decide. Plus if you buy a machine from her the shipping is free. Feel free toPM me with any questions.
Jovi
Old 09-24-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tadpole
I have a Brother that I bought from HSN with the easy pay and yes it is limited to a 4x4 hoop but for someone to just get started with embroidery it is a very good machine. Mine also has a connector for my computer. It allowes me to download different designs without having buying extra equiptment(spelling) to download from the internet. It took me a little while to learn how to do it but was well worth it. This was my first computerized machine and I let it sit in the box for 3 months cause I was so scared that I would not be able to learn how to work it. Just read the manual then read it again. If I can learn how to run mine anybody can. There is one drawback to this machine, when you do learn it you WILL want one that has a bigger hoop but for the price and the fact that you can download from the internet without spending more money this is the machine. Mine is a Brother HE-240.
IF I'm reading everything right, with the Brothers, you can only use the "Brother" type files in the embroidery. With the Singer, it comes with the software that you can use any clip art or anything that you download from the internet. It doesn't have to be just the embroidery designs that you buy.

The Singer also has the extra software to turn your photos into embroidery! Has anyone used this? It looks like it would be amazing, I'm just wondering if its as good as it looks!
Old 10-28-2011, 06:13 PM

Go futura. I have one and it is great.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by drivingsusan
The Brother that you are looking at ONLY has a 4X4 hoop!
That will limit you greatly!
I agree, try to go for the largest hoop size machine
you can afford. A 4x4 is very limiting.