Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made? >

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

Old 11-10-2011, 04:58 AM

I made a "leg belt" for a wheelchair bound coworker. When I started in the lab, Joey used a piece of braided rope to hold his legs together. I got to work and made an adjustable denim/homespun thingy for his legs. It took some tweeking but we got it to fit and the velcro fastener was just the ticket!
Old 11-10-2011, 05:05 AM

A sail for my DH's cedar strip hand made Kayak and Canoe he made. Was definately an experience. Also have made "shade drops for the awnings on our travel trailer and now for our motor home. ( the sort of fabric they use for umbrellas that let the air thru but offer some privacy) I'm sure that over the years there have been a lot more strange things that I have made, but these two items come to mind first.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:34 AM

dog boots for my DIL chichaua (sp?). It was so funny to watch him walk at first, he finally got use to them. His feet were sticking to the ice in winter so they were a needed item. I used my little finger as the goal to make sure they would fit him without hurting him and to make sure if I couldn't shake it off, he wouldn't be able to either. He's so tiny.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:36 AM

A quilted holder for MIL's oxygen tank. I used pretty pre-quilted fabric from Walmart. It had straps to hold it or attach it to a walker, etc., and a little pocket to hold the tool used to adjust the on/off switch. This was several years ago before those portable tanks became so popular.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:38 AM

I made a special 'nursery' bag for a sugar glider. Had no idea what it was, so went onto the net, and discovered I had to put the seams on the outside, extra small stitches, etc, so the little one wouldn't get hung up in any bits of thread in the seam. Turned out well & the person I made it for (my hairdresser) was able to keep her 'baby' with her during the day (if only doing haircuts - no perms). They bond with their human by scent and spending time together.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:51 AM

I made a spare tire cover once out of naugerhide and appliqued a stag's head on it and another ith checkadees and pine branches. They were fun and unusual.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:56 AM

I was actually given a pattern for the scrub hat from a nurse at the hospital. I make the all the time for the department my husband works in.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:35 AM

It is still very hard to write about my awesome quilting experience. When my granddaughter lost her two month old to SIDS she asked me to make a wall hanging with his name and his clothing. Well, what could I do? She mailed me his clothes and I prayed and proceeded to make a wall hanging and sofa size quilt. When I visited this summer her husband took me downstairs to their den and showed me the wall hanging and the quilt draped on the sofa. For them, it's a wonderful way to remember him. I don't know where I got the spiritual courage to do it and, Lord, I pray I never have to do it again. God bless, Quilting Joan
Old 11-10-2011, 07:43 AM

Default Unusual items

Originally Posted by dd View Post
quilt-fanatic I'm so glad you started this topic. I think this has been the best topic I have read since I started on the board. Too much fun.lol
I totally agree! This has been great fun!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:52 AM

Well, I guess you can call me a bit crazy, but I am making a kitten bed, (Log cabin & quilted on my antique Singer 31-15 commercial machine also I am recovering an auction find (ottoman), also using the Log Cabin pattern, with double rows of prairie points & welting. When I am finished and can figure out how to post the photos, I will. Yep, I am crazy!