Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement >

if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

Old 11-22-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
This is so wierd-- As I was waiting for my turn at the cutting table the lady in front of me was buying fleece with sports team logos on them to make Christmas stockings to sell at her Flea Mkt booth.Another lady said what she was doing was illegal and 'Don't you read the selvedge' blah blah blah and she could be arrested I could not help but to lol at that remark. I figure once its purchased its yours to do what you want..I don't read the selvedge other than to make sure the color code is there But from now on I will make sure to not buy any CFs and to let the store know why.
You cannot get arrested because it is a civil, not a criminal matter. The complaining party has to hire an attorney to sue you. And frankly, that's not likely because it would never hold up in court. You might get a letter, and they want you to cave in, but they really don't want you to fight them in court because they will lose. There is no contract if both parties do not agree to it.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:31 AM

I agree!

Cookie64
Old 11-22-2011, 07:34 AM

Now that I use XM radio, I no longer buy (tapes) or CD's. When I did, it was for personal use. I couldn't even give a copy away. If I wanted to use the music for a private party it was OK. But if I was paid to D.J., I had to pay royalties on the use of the music. Software programs are the same way. Now fabric. We all like it when we get a positive cash flow, and so do the musicians and designers.

Like many of you, I wonder if it is merely a "royalty" on top of the money they have already gotten for the design, or if it goes to some intangible beyond that. I'd like to know how designers get their payments for their work. My guess is that they receive pay when the original design is accepted, pay for each product use, (scrapbook paper, wall paper, fabric, sheet sets, poster print, etc.), and percentage of each sale of the various products. As for our purposes, fabric, I think the cash flow to the designer should stop when the store buys the fabric. It is easy to trace to that point, and no further. Licensed prints are fairly easy to spot, and an explanation for that use has already been provided. However a somewhat geriatric pattern of leaves, cut into pieces and sewn into a table runner, sold at a flea market or church fundraiser is going a bit far. If you are selling in quantities which requires a business licence, then perhaps the designers could hold you accountable. We really need legal clarification - in layman's terms - on this one.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:41 AM

Books marked Not for Resale are prerelease copies that are sent out for reviews. And not intended for any type of retail sale.
SandyQuilter
Old 11-22-2011, 07:43 AM

Hi CK ---Is "Not for Commercial Use" because they use this fabric for making up quilts for stores like JC Penney, etc??? I don't make anything to sell - my friends and family get my stuff !! :-) There has to be a reason a designer or manufacturer would curtail sales. If I love the fabric, I would still buy it for personal use. Maybe someone out there knows the rest of the story. I'm coming north for Christmas - maybe I can catch you then. Will PM you after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:04 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mic-pa View Post
Yep, lets have a moratoriam on buying their fabric. So far I have not seen any but will check for it the next time I go to my LQS>
Originally Posted by Pieces2 View Post
If we all stop buying these fabrics maybe the designers will have to change their policy.
I can't believe these designers want to put these restrictions on their fabric.
Let the fabric stay on the shelves, theres always other fabric to purchase.
Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
In addition to not buying the fabric, let the store owners know you are NOT buying that fabric, and WHY.
Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Don't buy that fabric. If it doesn't sell the store will stop ordering it. The designer will have what she wants, her fabric all to herself. LOL.
I agree! If we stop purchasing the fabrics stamped for non-commercial use and other restrictions, they will get the message. Remember we have a large voice here on the QB, Walmart brought back our fabric !!!

Last edited by amazon; 11-22-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:31 AM

This whole ‘not for commercial use’ thing is not new. It goes back to 2006 when Amy Butler and Helen Ross (separately) put commercial use restrictions on their fabrics. Both designers were manufacturing finished products (pajamas, intimate wear, etc) from their fabrics and did not want competitors to benefit from their brand, their name. That, to me, makes sense, but I think they should have taken those particular fabrics off the market and just made them unavailable to everyone.
<O</O
Butler had eBay take down ALL listings of items made with ANY of her fabrics and the uproar was HUGE. Butler’s company was so slammed by eBay sellers in the press that she changed her policies. She now requires licensing arrangements from her wholesale buyers, but retail purchases are not restricted at all. Ross has also changed her position I understand.
<O</O
These restrictions are not a part of copyright law at all. Contract law, trademark and licensing law? Maybe. Enforceable? Probably not, in my opinion, unless you actually signed an agreement at the time of purchase. If they start printing ‘Licensed fabric - Not for Commercial Use’, that’s when I’ll think about not buying it for use in stuff to sell.
<O</O
Some history:
http://wendy.seltzer.org/blog/archives/2006/10/17/restricted_fabrics_cutting_against_the_grain_of_pe rsonal_property.html
<O</O
http://whipup.net/2006/10/23/fabric-copyright-and-licenses-oh-my/

Last edited by ghostrider; 11-22-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Maybe we should post the names of designers who have this "propriety issue" so we can avoid them.
Be careful with that, the present attitude of this forum is, that post would be deleted and all the info lost. Politically correct is the only accepted attitude.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sheila_H View Post
All I can think of is the vast number of people that quilt - those attorney's would be one busy bunch of people trying to look at every quilt to see if there's an infringement on policy.

My BIL is an attorney I asked him about it tonight and he said unless the company sends a legal notice with each bolt of fabric to the buyer, stating that they have a copyright and need to be notified if someone is going to display it in a show; there really can't say anything. He said about the only time you might get into the gray zone is if you win a large sum of cash you would probably need to notify the manufacturer.

He said that there are a lot of old laws on books out there that have never been amended or updated in years! He said they would have a hard time of them trying to get a judge to hear it in court as they're already overloaded with nonsense
This is the first post that makes sense!! If these lawsuits are such a common occurrence why is it the only place we hear about it is sewing/emb.boards? I have never seen a news article or a link to one. It's always someone that knows someone whose neighbor's sister heard about it. My understanding is(per my attoney) you cannot be arrested or have your machines confiscated. This is not a criminal matter. If you are not presenting your items as "official" you are not violating anything.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:30 AM

I have not seen this on any fabric yet but I sure believe you that it's there! I do not sell things so this wouldn't be an issue for me but I just think I'll not buy any fabric that says that just to boycott the designer/manufacturer--what silliness! With the price of fabric going up, you'd think they would just be happy to make a sale!!! I guess I'll be using up my stash.