Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How much stuff do other snowbirds lug back and forth >

How much stuff do other snowbirds lug back and forth

How much stuff do other snowbirds lug back and forth

Old 04-16-2012, 10:54 AM

Could one of you come and help me pack in the fall. I took all my rulers this year. 3/4 of my thread, 1 UFO I haven't touch for 7 years (never looked at it this winter either) and One small tub of books and patterns, and one tub of my landscape fabric and the piece I am working on, and 3 tubs of fabric. My iron, Quilt cut 2, Otto light, and I don't know what else. The bottom of the trailer was full of my quilting stuff. Oh and I have about 8 boxes that I put projects in, and 4 plastic container with handles. BUT I did get 5 quilts finished and delivered to the LQ and now they have either bindings on and are ready for the show coming up in May.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 AM

My DH and I live full time in a 42' motorhome and spend the summer months in the coast of Oregon, the winter months somewhere on the Gulf---- in between we meander, mostly following the weather. You would be amazed what I have squirreled away, including two sewing machines and quilt books and fabric and mats and rulers and and and.....you get the picture! I think I have been to a quilt store in every single state!!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:28 PM

We winter in Alabama and summer in Iowa. Our Iowa home is a 12 x 60 mobile home and our home in Alabama is about 3 times that size. I keep a sewing machine, cutting mat, 6 x 24 ruler, ironing board & iron in Iowa. So all I have to take with me for the summer is any small projects I might want to work on. All supplies that I take will fit in a small 18x18x4 tote. Our summers are much busier with family & friends and a summer job, so I don't have as much time to sew. I usually come back to Alabama with more fabric than what I went with as there are many more quilt shops around our Iowa home. (Stopping at quilt shops on the trip to and from Alabama is not an option. DH & the cat are always in a hurry to get to our destination. We stop for gas, a quick bite to eat & potty breaks........seldom more than 15 minutes) :/
Old 04-16-2012, 04:04 PM

I have double of everything so I can leave rulers, cutting equipment, sewing machine, and a stash that would start a fabric shop. I do take projects that have been started so I can finish back home.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:57 PM

Guess I am a water/ sun bird....I live in florida, but go to my houseboat in Ky every year around Memorial day and stay till after Labor day. I leave a FW on the boat and take scraps to make string quilts and BAby quilts( when I am not fishing or swimming..heheh
Old 04-17-2012, 04:52 AM

i TRY TO HAVE ANY QUILT PROJECTS PRE CUT PACKAGED WITH A COPY OFF THE PATTERN INSTRUCTIONS. EVERY YEAR i HAVE REDUCED THE AMOUNT OF THINGS I PACK, TO MUCH TO TRANSFER FROM HOUSE TO RV.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:16 AM

We are not snowbirds but when we travel it has become a habit of bringing my sewing machine, cutting mat and as many things that I need that I can pack into my sewing machine tote. I bring projects but we always stop at quilt shops. DH even helps me pick out fabric and we often shop thrift shops and/or craigslist ads for vintage sewing machines. I am sure if we ever do become snowbirds, I will just be bringing more with me. LOL
Old 04-17-2012, 06:28 AM

We made the move to South Carolina 12 years ago (2000) from northern Illinois, almost Wisconsin, and sure are glad we did. No more of those -20 degree winters. I remember my husband and I one year going to a quilt show in Wisconsin when the temp. was -24 degrees, so I guess we can be called snowbirds for life.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
once DH gets in the van, he's like a horse wanting to get back in the barn.
Love this, that sounds so much like my DH. Before we go anywhere I have to tell him exactly where I want to go, and anything other than that forget it, it's like I was torturing him. He's even that way with yardsaleing, I have to tell him which route I want him to take and God forbid I want to stray off it.

Last edited by jeaninmaine; 04-17-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:04 AM

Lalaland - I like your setup - very nice. What model is that cabinet? I just recently retired and haven't had a chance yet to go snowbirding - but it is on my list! We have a motor home - now if he would just get it running. :-)

Otherwise when we go anywhere, I usually pack some hand embroidery quilt squares - those I can do in the car or anywhere without needing much room. And yes, by time I pack all of the extra "what if" clothes, we could easily stay another couple weeks!!

Mary