Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing? Quilting? or both? >

Piecing? Quilting? or both?

Piecing? Quilting? or both?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

I love it all and best of all I seem to cycle. I get in quilting mode and stay there for a while, then I get in peicing mode and couldn't be happier sorting through my stash and taking the rotary cutter out and then watching the quilt top come together, then I get in buying mode and have great fun selecting fabrics for a project I have in mind then OMG I am in quilting mode again. LOL
Old 07-05-2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by PiecesinMn View Post
The part I don't enjoy is the basting the top to be ready for quilting. I find it tedious. The love the rest of the quilting process from picking a pattern, material, piecing and quilting (either tie, hand or machine). Are there basting elves?
It is called spray basting......
Old 07-05-2012, 10:48 AM

I go in cycles. Mostly I love it all (though sometimes I feel like I have a love/hate relationship with various aspects). Love fabrics! While sometimes cutting can be tedious, I try not to be in a rush and enjoy the process, thereby making it more relaxing. Somewhere in the middle of piecing, I get tired of it and just want to be done! I do not enjoy basting the quilt part together. The more I practice my FMQ skills, the more I like it. When it's going smoothly, I love it. Then again, somewhere in the middle of that process I find my eye/mind wandering to another project. I really don't care for binding, BUT since I have decided I will become proficient at machine binding (front and back) - that task is a bit less tedious. Maybe someday I will find it relaxing to hand stitch - but that day is not today!

I find that if I have a couple of different projects going, so I can switch back and forth, that helps keep away boredom. Also, I quit telling myself that I *need* to do this or that (such as - I need to learn more complex piecing skills). Now, I just allow myself to go where I feel drawn. If it is a simple project - great! If it happens to be more complex and I am really drawn to it - great! And - I allow myself to be open to new ideas, I try not to say *never* or *always*. Leaves myself open to new experiences, new ways of doing things.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:23 AM

my least favorite part is cutting..but I just can't justify buying precuts.. I love the piecing part and love to hand quilt. I do not baste my quilts, I pin them. There are days that I have a preference for either hand or machine work, but I usually have a project going for both
Old 07-05-2012, 11:36 AM

My least favorite part is quilting. I feel like I have so much less control over quilting than I do over piecing. I can make a quilt top look pretty good, but I'm afraid I'll ruin my hard work with my quilting. I can't afford to pay a longarm quilter, so I need to practice my quilting!
Old 07-05-2012, 11:39 AM

I enjoy each part of it. Love to dream of the next one...so many ideas....so little time. As I'm binding a quilt it's like giving birth to a new creation, and I really do marvel at whats been accomplished.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:48 AM

Love designing the quilt top, like making the top, hate quilting the top.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:49 AM

I only like the hand quilting part. That's why I only do wholecloth quilts!
Old 07-05-2012, 11:50 AM

My favorite part is handquilting. I also like to purchase and handle fabric but not necessarily to cut it up and sew it back together. I barely tolerate that part just to get to the quilting. The assembly of the top and the sandwhiching process are like other chores I have learned to do in my life like housework. I do them because they are necessary but I kind of tune out while I am doing them. I have learned after a lifetime of doing things that are necessary to just do it and get on to the good parts.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:32 PM

I love it all. FMQ'ing is getting much faster as i make more. Some day I will do designs instead of just stippling. But I do love doing it...quick and easy.