Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing? Quilting? or both? >

Piecing? Quilting? or both?

Piecing? Quilting? or both?

Old 07-05-2012, 07:01 AM

Question Piecing? Quilting? or both?

I'm just curious, how many are like me and ONLY like to quilt? I'm so happy when I'm sitting at my quilting machine, moving fabric around and turning something "pretty" into something "amazing"! (at least in my mind, anyway!) I do buy my quilt tops or use "cheater" because I don't enjoy buying fabrics, cutting or piecing at all!

How many of you enjoy the process of making a quilt top and finding the perfect fabrics and patterns? Carefully cutting hundreds of pieces of material into dozens of shapes and following each direction perfectly (or perhaps coming up with your own pattern!) and producing a work of art? But then either suffer thru tying or quilting to get a finished quilt? Or hire someone else to finish it for you?

And how many of you love it all (except basting, of course Lol)?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

i love the piecing part because i've always enjoyed the various patterns that can be seen in a quilt top. the only reason that i don't like the quilting part is that i'm not very good at it
Old 07-05-2012, 07:14 AM

Sounds like you two should get together! Luckily I like it all!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:18 AM

I love every part of the process, I mostly enjoy the piecing because I'm good at it, I'm not very creative for the quilting so I don't enjoy it as much, if I ever get good at the quilting I'll be over the moon!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:21 AM

I like most of it and tolerate the rest :0). Love playing around with and selecting fabrics and colors. Not crazy about cutting out a quilt. Enjoy the piecing process if it's going well and my machine is cooperating. Hate basting. Enjoy hand quilting. Hate making binding and sewing on by machine but enjoy hand stitching the binding down in the back. In summary, the choosing and shopping for the fabric and seeing the look on a happy recipient's face of the finished project is what keeps me doing it. I'm relatively newly retired and don't know what I'd do with all my time if I didn't have quilting for a hobby. Keeps me focused and engaged.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:39 AM

It depends on my mood which I like best. However, it must be making the top as I have done so many for my quilting groups!

Guess that is why I love my quilting groups. I can choose what I want to do as they need help with each step of the process from cutting the material for kits to the final finishing of binding and labeling the quilts.

ali
Old 07-05-2012, 08:40 AM

Start to finish, love it all!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 AM

The part I don't enjoy is the basting the top to be ready for quilting. I find it tedious. The love the rest of the quilting process from picking a pattern, material, piecing and quilting (either tie, hand or machine). Are there basting elves?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:13 AM

My favorite part is putting fabrics together to make something pretty. Sometimes get frustrated with my lack of precision in putting it all together. Have discovered it's not a good idea to try to cut or sew when tired or in a 'funky' mood. LOL! Don't really care for the sandwiching and quilting part most of the time. Guess that explains the reason for so many UFOs!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

I love all of it. The only thing I don't like is if my machine acts up, but then who isn't.