Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Quilts made using vintage machines! >

Quilts made using vintage machines!

Quilts made using vintage machines!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:02 PM

In AL, you can probably go fishing all winter, right? I'm not into ice fishing so it's over till spring.
I have quilts to finish this winter as well. I really need to get those UFOs done!!

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Pat and I do have such fun when camping and fishing and if fish are caught it just means a very good dinner. Being together on the outing is the fun part.
Skip

PS I need to stay home this winter and get the three quilts finished that I have started last year
Old 10-10-2012, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
In AL, you can probably go fishing all winter, right? I'm not into ice fishing so it's over till spring.
I have quilts to finish this winter as well. I really need to get those UFOs done!!
Yes we can go year round here in AL
Old 10-12-2012, 05:39 AM

nanna, Love the skateboarder quilt the colors and the applique.
Mariam and Sharon I love your quilts as well. Any little boy would be proud to own one of those.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:47 AM

Aha! Finally, my first piecing project is no longer a UFO. I started this one in July.
Pieced on a Winselmann handcrank, assembled on a Singer 503J, and final assembly done by hand.

Every last one of them is crooked, and smaller than intended.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PinCushions.jpg
Views:	1075
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	369863  
Old 10-15-2012, 04:21 AM

These are adorable. They look like they are stuffed very full. What did you use to stuff them? I have been wanting to make some pin cushions.... maybe this will get me going.

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Aha! Finally, my first piecing project is no longer a UFO. I started this one in July.
Pieced on a Winselmann handcrank, assembled on a Singer 503J, and final assembly done by hand.

nanna
Old 10-15-2012, 08:54 AM

Thanks nanna! The first one I did, the one in the clockwise "2 o'clock position, is full of just regular polyfill. That one traveled too much. The second through fourth, all but the all black one in the 7 o'clock position have red spring wheat in the top and bottom cushions. The black one is a mix of all. The bottom cushion is spring wheat, the middle is polyfill, and the top is crushed glass emery, suggested by the lady who runs the sewing circle I go to. I think I like that one the best. It's heavy and stays put, and the what berries sometimes stop the pins prematurely, so I suspect they're not great for the points so having the emery is nice.

I kept trying to stop filling them, and one of the ladies at the circle who quilts kept saying "more".... I took her word for it, and I think they turned out great for a first try.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:57 PM

Great idea for the needle holder. I never know where to put my used ones that are still good. Please post a photo of your Windelsmann machine. We don't hear on the QB about that machine. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Great idea for the needle holder. I never know where to put my used ones that are still good. Please post a photo of your Windelsmann machine. We don't hear on the QB about that machine. Thanks for sharing!
Whoops! Sorry, I forgot to subscribe to the thread.

I did post about the Winselmann, it was largely the help of several enablers here that convinced me to buy it.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...h-t195874.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...y-t196039.html
Old 10-18-2012, 04:51 AM

Tammi those pin cushions are great, but when you stick in the sewing machine needles - how do you keep track of the needle size/type? I have a couple little trash bags/pin cushions that hang on the side of a table/cabinet, but I didn't make them! You should try the little trash bags/pin cushions next! Great idea, great job, they're really cute!

Nancy
Old 10-18-2012, 10:05 AM

Hey Nancy,

I've been cheating. The "bull's Eye" effect of the log cabin let's me sort the needles. closest to the center: 80, next ring out 90, further 100, etc.

Type, so far, I haven't been keeping track of. Believe it or not, all of those needles have come out of machines I've bought (one came with probably 30 needles in a couple of pill bottles, so I had no idea how much they'd been used), therefore I had no idea what kind they were. I figured once I know what sort of needles I'm using (i.e. have used them since new), I can dedicate a pin cushion to each type, I certainly have enough of them.

The other thing I've done with the shortest pincushion is written the needle size on the white part...

I'd sure like to see the trash bag pin cushions...

I can't take credit for the idea, they came out of a "quilting for beginners" type book that I picked up a few months ago and thought they were adorable.