Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Encouragement Please >

Need Encouragement Please

Need Encouragement Please

Old 11-19-2012, 06:21 AM

I thought the hardest part of a bargello was sewing all the strip sets!...so boring. Organization is the key, like the others have said. I cut a strip across the strip set.....so that you have a piece of all the different fabrics....numbered each different fabric piece according to your original layout....then tacked it up on the wall directly in front of the sewing machine so I could see and refer to it easily. Since each strip you cut and sew will split at a different point, it makes it much easier to find a fabric that corresponds to a number. I only cut a few strips (from the strip sets) at a time...it made for much less confusion and gave me and the eyes a break from sitting non-stop at the machine. After you get a few of the strips sewn, the pattern will start to emerge and make it easier to "know" that you are sewing the correct strip. Just remember....if you have any questions, we will all be glad to help!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:25 AM

Don't ever give up is what I have always taught my kids. You need to take a few days rest and then go slow and read the instructions before and while you push on. You can do it and it will be beautiful. Show us a picture when you get it done please.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:05 AM

You can do it. you just need to keep strip sets organized or beak the quilt into sections and do a section at a time and join them together. I was taught by my teacher to break ti down into sections, top middle bottom, than break those down into 4-5 sections. Its easier to explain if you see it. Most books and patterns just number rows and keeping track of that many rows can be confusing
Old 11-19-2012, 07:41 AM

Bargellos are really all about organization. If you can keep all the pieces organized, the sewing is easy. Just label everything and you will be fine. It's a beautiful pattern and I look forward to seeing what you do with it. Please don't forget to share pictures.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 AM

I just googled the pattern. It looks like a stunning quilt! I'm sure you can do it. The key will be to keep all your strips in order. So as long as you don't have a helpful cat, corgi or child rearranging your sewing room, it should be a piece of cake for you (maybe the cake would keep your would-be-helpers occupied).

Cheers, K
Old 11-19-2012, 11:08 AM

Oh my goodness!!! After all this encouragement I just have to do it. Thanks to all of you. I will try to keep all of this in mind as I go on. Have a blessed Thanksgiving. I might have to ask a few questions as I continue.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:55 AM

Joy - you CAN do it! Yes, organization is the key!!

Also, I've found with patterns that make me say "what the heck are they saying??" that if I RE-WRITE them I then get it. I'll go through the whole pattern section by section. I break down the cutting instructions and follow each cut through to where it is going to go. Then it starts to make sense.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:59 AM

I made a bargello quilt last year...my very first one and it was only the 4th quilt I made... you can do this ... just before to pin , pin , pin where the squares attach.. it is very painstaking but is so worth it when you are done!!! you have already done tons of more difficult ones. this one is just very very tedious but straight forward.!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:13 PM

You also might want to check the web site and make sure if any corrections have been posted.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:03 AM

Though I am new to quilting I would love to do a Bargello . I am finding for myself if I do a practice piece it helps me get the floe of it all,