Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles >

Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Old 04-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

So funny, I LOVE the add-a-quarter ruler. It makes pp so much easier. But it is actually wider than 1/4", so I wonder if we're talking about the same ruler.

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
I bought that stupid "add a quarter" ruler that is only 1/4" wide because it was on the supplies list for a paper piecing class. I used it for the very first piece of fabric and then decided that the 1/4" marking on my workhorse 5 x 24 inch ruler worked much better. Same class, same supplies list, I bought the "purple thang". If I'd known that my bamboo shishkabob skewers do exactly the same thing I would have saved that money too.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:45 PM

Most useless gadget I've gotten was the pretty necklace that is supposed to also be a thread cutter. My teeth do a better job...but it is nice with my costuming for the Renaissance Faires. So not a complete loss.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I use the Simplicity rotary cutter more then I thought. It's not for accurate cutting for piecing but for general crafts it's great. I can cut bias strips fast to wrap around the cotton rope to make baskets and bowls. I also crochet fabric strips so the cutter work great for that too. DGD would sit and cut strips and enjoyed 'helping' me. It help build her confidence and dexterity so that is worth the price of it. The same with the Sidewinder She loved using them to help me. I have a shoebox full of bobbins in every color. LOL I kept Walmart out of new bobbins for a long time. Both were cheaper then a new video game.
I just picked up a large ball of fabric strips at second hand store, what do you crochet? I thought if I do not use it will look good sitting in a basket?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt View Post
I got a sidewinder as a gift and have never used it. I got a mini iron, a toy iron heats that hot, again as a gift. I got an extra light for my machine, it won't stay put, again a gift. I do wish my husband would stop getting me these useless things. I know it is the thought that counts and really do appreciate them even though I will not be using them.
Funny, I know these little gifts are not cheap, but it is the thought that counts, you need to have a list and suggest he buy something on it you would like and use. Sounds easy, I know!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:12 PM

I disagree about dritz quality. I have recently purchased several dritz items that more than meet my expectations. I like the big flower head pins because they are easy for me to pick up - I'll put up with a lot for that.

I really love my dritz rotary cutter. It's much better than any of the other brands I have bought and used - but not for long - especially the pricey 'safety' rotary cutters where the safety catch slips while you are cutting. Nearly cut the tip of my thumb off when that happened.

I think it's really kind of a 'hit or miss' with any brand these days.

One thing I never or rarely use - my "spinning" cutting mat.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:14 PM

The super slider was the pits for me. I ended up throwing it out!
The bicycle clips to roll and clip the quilt-not!
The big red rubber fingertips things, not.
could probably think of more, I do love the Fons & Porter brand and the Clover. not disappointed so far there.
I do like the sidewinder, it is great and use it all the time.
The genie bobbin washers work well and then I got to where I don't even use them.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:28 PM

I love my walmart - Brother - sewing machines! I bought my first one simply because it was inexpensive and I wasn't sure how much I'd like sewing. It was a work horse, used it for 5 years. I stopped using it because something fell on it while we were traveling. We tried to fix it, but the damage from 'internal injuries' it sustained was fatal. The second, a pricier one, is also great. I haven't used all of it's features yet - and the manual is fabulous!

There are brands other then what WM sells, but that doesn't make them better. The best machine is always the one that meets your sewing needs at a price you can afford.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 PM

The twister template...I discovered how easy and much less wasteful it is to cut your own pieces, to any size.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:38 AM

Hated the Simplicity strip cutter, bought the Go! and love it. I would have never tried the Drunkard's Path without the Go! I have use all sorts of marking pens and the best to me is the Fons and Porter with the white lead and the colored lead. Also have used the cheapie washable markers at Dollar Tree and tested first, they work great. The blue or purple markers for $3-5 really don't work well for me, they always seem to be dried out. Dislike all pins but the glass head Fons and Porters...too many blunt edges. I don't like any rotary cutter but Olfa, the rest I have managed to load incorrectly or just plain break. Likewise, I dont like Fiskars cutting mats, definitely not June Tailor, only Olfa. I found the largest cutting mat was a waste of my money because I really didn't have a cutting surface big enough to hold it.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:45 AM

ot of my "stuff" might be useless but I had fun buying it and love to haul some of it out and try it again... Some day you'll buy it all at my estate sale!