Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles >

Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Old 04-05-2013, 07:52 AM

Even though I don't use it all the time, I love my Accuquilt GO. It was a surprise gift from DH! It's really great on triangle cutting with the dog ears gone so matching is a breeze. I just bought the Drunkard's Path dyes so I am looking forward to trying that out when I clear my current projects. I cut in bulk on my screened porch in fall and spring. I have a table on bed risers with two big Olfa mats out there and cutting is a joy! I keep it covered with some upholstery vinyl between times so DH can set his "mess" on it. He's more than happy to clear out for the week or so I need it in the transitional seasons.
I second the Creative Grids plug for rulers. They are so fantastic. I have just bought the expensive rotary blade sharpener. Tried the hard blue hand held one. SAVE YOUR MONEY THERE! Now my current rotary blade won't go dull so I can try it but if Bonnie Hunter says it works, I'm pretty sure you can bank on it, LOL!
I haven't had much luck with purchased pin cushions but have loved the handmade ones I've found to use. I can't imagine buying pattern weights. Mama used cans, salt shakers, dinnerware knives, etc. so I do as well when needed!
I have put good money into a nice sewing chair and lights and been glad that I did over and over. I also don't mind buying a new sharp seam ripper along since they seem to be such an essential part of my sewing experience but that's telling on myself.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:54 AM

My turn I think, I bought a bobbin winder. WHY???? I took it back . Then there is the little gadget that cuts strips up to 2" wide. YUCK!!!! That sucker never worked. Supposed to fit on your table. Nope. Tried it on a milk stool. Yep it fits there. NOpe still it sucks. Pins and needles I now get from England. A friend lives there and keeps me in stock. Yea for friends. Thats my story. NOt that its all I bought that is useless...... And ya know , sometimes those things that are useless to me , another person swears by them. SO each to his/her own.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
I bought that stupid "add a quarter" ruler that is only 1/4" wide because it was on the supplies list for a paper piecing class. I used it for the very first piece of fabric and then decided that the 1/4" marking on my workhorse 5 x 24 inch ruler worked much better. Same class, same supplies list, I bought the "purple thang". If I'd known that my bamboo shishkabob skewers do exactly the same thing I would have saved that money too.

I don't have the add-a-quarter ruler;the ruler I love to use when trimming the seams for paper piecing is OMNIGRIDS
1INCH X 6INCH. The ruler is marked 1/4, 1/2,3/4.and then 1 inch. It is small, but still wide enough to hold in place for trimming the seam. Just love it. Got at Joanns with a 50% coupon years ago.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:25 AM

I had boughten glue sticks they were dried up, didn't get to use them. Rulers are my down fall, not real rulers but speciality rulers. My friend had bought me one* to go on my machine so I could keep my quarter inch...is was a waste of money....
Easy patterns are bad for me too...
oh well like another said it is all in the lessons we learn ...but sometimes I keep going back.....
Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 AM

What are creative grids plugs?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
I'm still looking for those bendable hair clips to try instead, or I may buy the clips everyone's talking about.
You should be able to get these in a Dollar store or Walgreens etc. There was a whole thread about the Clover Wonder Clips - I got some as a gift - I'm a convert!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Banned

Add me in for another Bobbin winder dislike. This was the one item I spent the gas to go return it to get my money back on. Same with the strip cutter from Simplicity, and the white cutting mat from Joann's
Old 04-05-2013, 09:37 AM

Hi Freckles. I am so with you on that tool.I bought one too that you could put your quilting spool on as you hand quilted ----I spend most of my time untangling it.I always now advice new comers to patchwork quilting 'Don't just buy, ask an old quilter first' One or two rulers, as big a cutting board as will fit on your table, good thin pins,good rotary cutter and scissors, good machine and hand quilting thread. Last but not least on or two pincushions.I always keep one pin cushion just for my hand quilting needle -- if it's not there at the end of my sewing session ---get out the extending magnet. I'm sure I've missed out one or two things but I do think some tools are designed to fund the inventor when a simple use of a normal ruler will do.By the time I've figured how to use the darn things I could have been well on the way to finishing my work. x Letty
Old 04-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BillieJean View Post
What are creative grids plugs?
I think she just meant that she was putting in a recommendation for the creative grids rulers.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Over 20 years ago I bought paper piecing papers from Little Foot for a Lone Star...they are different from most other PP techniques. And I've never used them; don't even remember how to now!

Jan in VA
See now that's funny. I bought little foot papers for paper piecing and so I HATE the way paper piecing is done now! With Little Foot you sew with the lines on top ... no upside down sewing. Haven't made the lone star one though. Loved it for Pineapple Log Cabin, and especially loved it for snail's trail ... won a Best of Show on that one!