Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles >

Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Old 04-06-2013, 07:33 AM
JLe

A cheap rotary cutter from WW. Looked good, worked once or twice, can't stand the thing now. Won't roll, and I did try taking it apart and cleaning it
Old 04-06-2013, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN View Post
A plastic cone holder. It falls over every time you try to use it. Now I have a homemade one out of a plant saucer and welding rod that hubby made for me. It even has a spindle for filled bobbins. I love it.
I agree - plastic cone holder is a waste of money and if I remember correctly, it was not all that cheap. So many other solutions that work better.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
EQ6... Never used it, lent it to a friend who has not used it in a year's time. Would like to sell it. When I bought it I specifically asked if it would help me design non block art quilts and was told YES. I took a class (after a few months of not being able to figure it out on my own) and, before signing up I asked if they would be going into making one's own designs, as in art quilting, and was told "yes". Well, before the third class (I paid $50 for the 3 classes even though the first one had already been done... that's how desperate I was) I asked again if we would be getting some non-block instructions and was told yes... but it didn't happen. So I printed out all the manual pages and tried again to figure it out. I couldn't do it. What a waste of money!!!! I've asked for my friend (who hasn't used it) for it back because I want to sell it. Someone who does blocks might really get a lot out of it, but it is useless to me. I must add that I'm in my 70s and get frustrated with electronics, especially computers and cell phones. Ironically, I did programing in the 80s.... those were the days you could easily go into the gut of the computer and change things. Now it is all done for us and every week there are new terms (words) for us to learn and I've decided I'm simply electronically challenged! AAAAAAGGGGGH!
I have the EQ6 as well. Lots of frustration. It is not user friendly and I spend most of my time figuring out how to find my work and drawing at the various levels. I suppose if you used it all the time you would begin to understand, but the truth is I prefer graph paper and pencil. And, you are right, if you are making something other than fairly traditional blocks, it is of no help.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:00 AM

I bought one of those independent bobbin winders....what a boondoggle that is! Used it a couple of times and NEVER again!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by teddy300 View Post
I agree the Martinelli zip bind system was on of the biggest wastes that I purchased
Same here! What I found most difficult was watching the video of the instructor who is left handed. Sorry lefties, but I just could not wrap my brain around the left handedness. But I love the Martelli Rotary Cutter and mat.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I like new tools and gadgets and I buy to try them out. I don't consider any of them a waste of money. I learned not to by the cheaper basics like pins, scissors, needles. That is always a waste of money in the long run.
Agreed, my husband and I think the same thing. It eventually costs more to buy the cheaper things than buying the good one in the first place. By time you figure in gas and time it took to buy a replacement you could have bought the better one in the first place.
My husband says the same about his tools he has.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:22 AM

The one I'm having problems with now is the adjustable bias tape foot found on Amazon and other sites. I can't keep the quilt binding feeding straight. The foot has a top groove and bottom groove which the tape edges feed through but as they're sewn through they keep sliding out of the grooves. Also it seems the opening where the quilt is sandwiched between doesn't want to open far enough and the quilt works it's way out of location. I don't know if it's me or the foot. I would sure like for it to work so I could use one stitch around the quilt and it would be bound. If it's me and any of you use it successfully let me know your technique.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I would love to know if this gadget works with Viking machines. I have an old Husqvarna and I've heard this doesn't work well with the H bobbins. Glad to hear you like the sidewinder bobbin winder. What machine do you have?
It does not work on on the green Viking bobbins. They do not fit on the spindle.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:03 AM

Like Diannia, I bought one of those gun quilt basting things several years ago, and used it for a few minutes, and took it back for a refund! I did not like it, and knew I would never use it again.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Suze9395 View Post
That little mini iron thing. It doesn't get hot enough to do anything.
Yep, me too. But mine got hot, but the on/off button broke the first time I used it.