Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilters, which needles do you prefer to use??? >

Hand Quilters, which needles do you prefer to use???

Hand Quilters, which needles do you prefer to use???

Old 04-07-2013, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem View Post
I know this is contrary to the rest of the world, but I use a size 10 milliner needle and a running stitch with no frame. I like Colonial needles the best.
What kind of stitch can you get with this type of needle?
Old 04-07-2013, 03:13 AM

I use Roxanne's...betweens...usually size 11 or 12. The 12's can be really, really, tiny and a bit bendier. The 11's are definitely easier to work with. I order them online usually. Although I see you're in Lancaster...I believe the quilt shop off by itself in Bird-in-Hand (sorry, can't remember the name of the shop despite it being one of my favorites) carries Roxanne's in their downstairs section. I believe there are a couple of other shops in the area there that carry them as well. My LQS here does not. Prices seem to be about the same between the shops there and any online sources I've found.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

For me, it is not so much the brand name, as the size. I cannot use the tiny ones that we are "supposed" to. Mine are larger. It works for me, even though I sometimes have to use the rubber puller to get the job done.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:34 AM

I mostly use John James. I don't use Dritz products any more. Too many problems. I have found that my John James needles will bend slightly over time but it's a very gradual process and does't require that much needle replacement. I don't do that much hand quilting any more and some of the suggestions in other posts would probably be a more reliable indicator of what's currently out there. Dritz, in general, seems to be doing some cost cutting on their production methods. More and more I have found their products to be unreliable. That's just my personal experience so take it for what it's worth.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by be a quilter View Post
It was slack enough, I am starting to think it was just me. It was late and I was tired and coming to the end, lol, just wanting to finish and get it off the frame. Plus this one was done as SID, never going to do one like that again!!!
it could be you had a bad pack of needles, too. I've had that happen, and if I break one, then all of them will break.

Janet
Old 04-07-2013, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I use Roxanne's...betweens...usually size 11 or 12. The 12's can be really, really, tiny and a bit bendier. The 11's are definitely easier to work with. I order them online usually. Although I see you're in Lancaster...I believe the quilt shop off by itself in Bird-in-Hand (sorry, can't remember the name of the shop despite it being one of my favorites) carries Roxanne's in their downstairs section. I believe there are a couple of other shops in the area there that carry them as well. My LQS here does not. Prices seem to be about the same between the shops there and any online sources I've found.
I know which one you mean, although I also cannot remember the name of it. I get my YLI thread there as it is not always easy to find and I know they carry it. I have several favorite shops that I tend to go to first, it seems when I go somewhere else I always end up back at my favorites to find what I am looking for.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:42 PM

How in the world do you quilt w/o a frame? Not even a hoop either? Is this a full sized quilt not a wall hanging you're referring to,? I see you posted this a few months ago but hopefully you'll see this and post a reply. I have done a lot of hq but never w/o a hoop.