Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Travel Help! >

Travel Help!

Travel Help!

Old 09-19-2013, 09:23 AM

Good idea!
Old 09-19-2013, 07:30 PM

What a great trip planned! I read where in Italy you can't find regular type fabric? That is so sad! I could never live in a country where you can't find fabric for quilting!
Old 09-20-2013, 06:58 AM

Enjoy your travels and explore all of those magnificent places and please don't waste your time looking for fabric as I did. The fabric in Europe is much more expensive than in USA and the merchants are telling me that they get their fabrics from USA. An owner of a fabric store in Ohio confirmed this and stated that she regularly ships bolt of fabric to Prag and Budapest and some other places. Last week I checked some shops in Trieste, Italy and I was not able to find anything. I am staying in Croatia for a couple of months and I am glad I brought my fabric from home because trough my travels trough Europe I was only able to find one french fabric.
Enjoy your trip.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:42 AM

In Germany and Austria the prices are the same as in the Netherlands, meaning: expensive! (compared to the USA that is and most our fabrics come from the same producers.
For a FQ we have to pay an average of 4,75 euro ($ 6,42) ! yep, for ! FQ of Moda, Andover , Nortcoth etc. Webshops often are a bit cheaper.
The 'Westfalen Stoffe' are made in Germany. You can often find them in shops for homedecorating as well.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
What a fabulous trip! DO be prepared to pay a lot more for quilt fabric in Europe.
Yep. Years and years ago now my DH and I were on a trip to Germany. We were looking for something else and came across (accidentally) a fabric/quilting store. I asked him if we could go in and told him I'd spend 5 euro! (Thinking I could maybe get half a meter.) I think I got about 8 or 9" of fabric. Too funny...and very sad. The fabric I bought was beautiful but back then it was running over $20/meter--can't really imagine what it would be now.